Winter Prep-Tire Chains

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
westernair
United States of America

Winter Prep-Tire Chains

Post by westernair »

Tire chains
Well my new truck is doing great, running everywhere in her and enjoying it tremendously. My question today is regarding tire chains, the previous owner has provided the original tire chains for the truck but only had them for 4 wheels. I suspect I am suppose to have sets for all 6 wheels correct? If not what wheels would I put the 4 chains on?
I plan on dry fitting them this coming weekend to see if extra links are needed. Can someone tell me how much slack should be in them when properly fitted?
I am doing this now in prep for my big snow camp in January.
If 6 sets are needed anyone down south that is not using their chains want to sell me a set for two wheels?

Also a gas or multi fuel heater is on my check list of things to purchase as well.
Thanks
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
undysworld
Norway

Re: Winter Prep-Tire Chains

Post by undysworld »

I've got a spare pair here in Wis.
Paul
psychoman

Re: Winter Prep-Tire Chains

Post by psychoman »

Shouldn't be any significant slack when fitted, you should be able to rachet them in tight.

Good trick for keeping the tension on the chains is to thread bungy cord/shock cord diagonally across the face of the wheel/tyre - minimises the chance of spitting a chain off - its a trick lots of European offroaders use in competitive offroad work in the snow. :D
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...