Wheel Balancing Beads

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ElectraPinz

Wheel Balancing Beads

Post by ElectraPinz »

I just noticed a bunch of ads on EBay for wheel balancing beads. Never heard of them or noticed them before. Did a search on this forum - no luck.

Does anyone know anything about them?

What's the scoop? Curious minds want to know. :?

Ben
krick3tt

Re: Wheel Balancing Beads

Post by krick3tt »

Used them for years..had tubes in my MT's. Now have or running tubeless on stock rims. Used the little round pellets that go in air guns.
Went to the sporting goods store and got a big jar for $25 and put 8 oz in each tire. Work the same as the balancing beads for less money
and do not get stuck in the valve. Won't clump, the ceramic balancing beads don't either., just did not want to take them out of the tubes.
I am using tires closer to the original size of stock Malloyas and the tubes did not fit from my 33's.
The weights fall off when wheeling and tires are out of balance all the time, used the beads and never had issues.

If you are up this way let me know and we'll have a beer and chat a bit. PM me...
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

also search "dyna": http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... mit=Search

I run them too. They sometimes seem to be off when I first start out and am moving slowly. The Pinz tires always wear so weird, the beads seems like a good solution. But I wasn't happy about the price from Dyna Bead. I'll try Morris' suggestion next time.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I use the Dyna Beads also and so far am happy with them.

One thing to remember is that when you remove the tires you'll lose the beads unless you come up with a way to catch them.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Good luck trying to 'catch' those little things. That is why I ran them in tubes in my tire at first.
Real pain to try to put them in the tubes or tires so be sure to get the applicator hose when ordering...and get the
special valves, too.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I use dyna beads in my Goodyear Wranglers. The best balancing I've ever had, actually, no issues.

tx Dave
1972 710m
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

krick3tt wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 pm Used them for years..had tubes in my MT's. Now have or running tubeless on stock rims. Used the little round pellets that go in air guns.
Went to the sporting goods store and got a big jar for $25 and put 8 oz in each tire. Work the same as the balancing beads for less money
and do not get stuck in the valve. Won't clump, the ceramic balancing beads don't either., just did not want to take them out of the tubes.
I am using tires closer to the original size of stock Malloyas and the tubes did not fit from my 33's.
The weights fall off when wheeling and tires are out of balance all the time, used the beads and never had issues.
I just followed krick3tt's recommendation exactly (8oz airsoft BBs per tire) in 255/85R16 BFG KM3s and I realized an immediate smoother and quieter ride versus the previous balance weights. There may be an almost undetectable wobble from a dead stop, but it immediately smooths out as the tire begins to roll and the beads disperse. For the aforementioned tires, at least, I have to give this tip 2 thumbs-up. 8)

Update 1: After a few days of driving it seems that the airsoft BBs are not the best solution. A distinct balance-related wobble occurs at 30-35mph then smooths out, likely due to the individual airsoft BBs being too heavy to adequately disperse before 35-40mph. Proper balancing beads are smaller and lighter than the airsoft BBs and therefore should begin to disperse at lower speeds, before tire balance becomes an issue. The airsoft BBs were a cheap proof of concept, but I've now ordered proper balancing beads.

Update 2: Proper balance beads installed and life is good. The small window of wobble at 30-35mph is gone and I'm realizing a number of improvements to highway driving handling and comfort that I never imagined were related to imperfect wheel balance. For those that may be unaware Pinzaguer wheels are lug centric rather than centered on the center hole of the rim, meaning unless you're balancing with a Pinzgauer wheel balancing adapter that you're probably ending up with lots of balance weights and a marginally acceptable final balance of your wheels. So, unless you've been balancing with the right tool, you're likely going to realize an incredible improvement to your highway driving with proper balancing beads.

I used this $30 variety from Amazon (beads are USA made, included hardware made in China).
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]