Brake lining...911!

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
berger
Canada

Brake lining...911!

Post by berger »

Well, in attempt to adjust my brakes, I made my way to the driver's side rear, pulled the tire, removed the drum....cleaned the top shoe, then went to clean the bottom and the lining fell off! WTF!! Trying not to be too pissed here....How do I reattach this? Do they use glue? Doesn't look like rivets....

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Brake lining...911!

Post by 4x4Pinz »

some drum shoes were bonded on. I am not sure what they used but when we get them relined, we have them bonded and riveted. Not many brake/clutch places around anymore but would be worth a look.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

4x4Pinz wrote:some drum shoes were bonded on. I am not sure what they used but when we get them relined, we have them bonded and riveted. Not many brake/clutch places around anymore but would be worth a look.
I watched a video on youtube showing the riveting of a John Deer tractor lining....looked simple enough.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I found a local truck shop that will rivet these linings back on. I also found a place that will bond them, but I am not sure I want to go that route. If I go with the rivet, I am going to remove the rear passenger side as well and have it riveted along with the existing adhesive.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Heed

Post by Heed »

I am very disappointed that Pinzgauer Canada didn't notice that prior to seeling you your truck.

Brakes are a major part of the safety inspection! :shock:
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Heed

Post by Heed »

prior to seeling you your truck

How about selling? Does that sound better?

....definitely not enough coffee this morning...
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I am not sure I can blame PC for it, because my mechanic doing the safety didn't discover it either, but then again, he wasn't playing with the linings, nor is he a Pinz guy...

Anyway, I had the DS rear shoes riveted today. Even though the top one was fine, I was not trusting the bonding material so I had it done too. I brought them to a Truck repair shop and the two older Gentlemen, SURROUNDED by brake shoes and linings, did them without a problem...and didn't charge me!! Well, that isn't entirely true...he asked if I wanted to do the same with the other shoes, and when I said yes, he said we could settle up then. I am bringing the second set of shoes in tomorrow. Trust....a beautiful thing. :)

While waiting, I was talking to one of the guys and he told me he is not a fan of bonding at all. They get a lot of new fleet trucks in where bonding is all that is applied to the shoe and they drill and rivet them. He mentioned that what can happen, probably when the bonding isn't properly applied, is the extreme heat from braking, coupled with water, can weaken the bonding over time causing it to separate. He sees this all the time on boat trailer brakes. Hey, who am I to argue....

Anyway, took a pic of the machine and my shoe...

I have to say, getting the shoes off the first time was T-O-U-G-H! Even putting them on, I struggled with the little retainer springs and pins...you need to be the Indian God Vishnu to hold everything in place! The second set came off in like two minutes. I removed the little retaining springs first, then just lifted the shoes off.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Hey Guys...

Like a dumbass, I didn't take a pic of the brakes before I disassembled the rear PS. I think I have it, but I just want to be sure the short spring is supposed to sit so close to the adjuster...is it supposed to be looped on the last two holes of the shoe?

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

yep. the spring acts as a holder for the adjustment (star)nut. keep It close.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Andre wrote:yep. the spring acts as a holder for the adjustment (star)nut. keep It close.
Thanks for the reply Andre! I did figure it out in the end, just wanted to be sure. I really wish SDP added the adjuster mechanism to the outside of the drum, like VW/Audi did with the Iltis. MUCH easier to adjust the drum with the tire on!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

only bad part about that is it becomes a port for debris to enter the brake drum while off roading.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Trying to get new linings. Who has them available?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I don't have any trouble getting my 712 Pinny (or Haffy) brake shoes relined......I just take them into a local brake shop and they give them back the following day.
I believe the lininings are made in a variety of sizes and there is nothing special persay re the Pinzgauer brake shoe radius, but I should say that the replacement lininings are bonded only, not rivited and they are also not "grooved".
I did wonder about this in the early days and made some enquires, but I've never had any trouble and in actual fact the surface area of the linining in contact with the drum is substantially increased without the grooves and holes.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Prof,

It is a bit of a swim to Melbourne so I was hoping for a relatively local tip for a supplier. I am amazed about the bonding though. Thought it was not a good way to go and had taken it off
my course of action. Might have to try it.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Morris,

There has to be somebody in Denver who relines truck shoes. With all the big equipment in the city, I'd bet the farm on it.

Here's one I found in a search:

Industrial Brake Reliners in Arvada: http://www.brakereliners.com/contact/contact.htm

Good hunting.

Paul