Sourcing a set of tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
djw
United States of America

Sourcing a set of tires

Post by djw »

Maybe silly questions, but I've not found this in searches...

The Semperits (bias/cross ply) that came on my K have some life left in them but I am contemplating a set of radials just because the reports of improved manners and handling, maybe BFG AT radials. But some questions not related to tire choices:

Is finding a tire shop that has a clue what to do with:
a) installing lug centric wheels
b) balancing lug centric wheels [I'd still like to balance the wheel/tire rather than dynabeads]
c) jacking a pinz [do lifts deal with pinz axles properly?]
d) my pref for tubes in tubeless tires, etc.?

While the forum has reports of folks running radials tubeless in original wheels, other reports of going back to tubes to stop losing a pound or two a week are also present. Tubes would be my preference to avoid this. My wheels are original and 40 years old, have 42 coats of paint, and likely to leak a bit of air from somewhere.

... Any specific issues about getting shops to put tubes in tubeless tires? My understanding is that tubes will be hard to find and even harder to get some shops programmed to use them as the pinz is twice as old as most tire store employees.

The advice I got when picking it up was "run any tire you want, just run tubes as well, you'll be happier".

Thanks for any info on what may seem silly and basic questions. I do not need any info on dynabeads.
Last edited by djw on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
berger
Canada

Re: Sourcing a set of tires

Post by berger »

I can tell you about my experience getting a set of tires mounted (last week). The mechanic who safetied my truck had a tower lift so he could put an arm just above each wheel on the frame. The shop I had my tires installed only had hydraulic, centre piston lifts, which would not work, so he jacked each wheel on its own. I went with a Goodyear Wrangler Territory (similar to a Duratrec?) They had a special adapter for their balance machine which locked the wheel in place. Two of the for tires balanced well, the other two not so much. He got it as close as he could without weighting the entire wheel...and I was okay with that. Truck runs fine at 105KPH.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

How many of you are using Dynabeads in the Pinz tires these days?
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I know there are exceptions,but of three Pinzs' I've had,none were out of center. Normal mount and bal.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

berger wrote:I can tell you about my experience getting a set of tires mounted (last week). The mechanic who safetied my truck had a tower lift so he could put an arm just above each wheel on the frame. The shop I had my tires installed only had hydraulic, centre piston lifts, which would not work, so he jacked each wheel on its own. I went with a Goodyear Wrangler Territory (similar to a Duratrec?) They had a special adapter for their balance machine which locked the wheel in place. Two of the for tires balanced well, the other two not so much. He got it as close as he could without weighting the entire wheel...and I was okay with that. Truck runs fine at 105KPH.
Any tubes? I am really trying to avoid having to add air on a regular basis due to sloooow leak from wheels that never envisioned tubeless.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

How many of you are using Dynabeads in the Pinz tires these days?
I have for a couple year, and another guy nearby (PC) as well.. They seem pretty good. When I first start out, sometimes they seem a bit thumpy at low speeds. But after a mile or so, they've been fine.

Never needed tubes, but I haven't aired down below about 15 psi either.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

As undysworld said I've also been using the Dynabeads for a couple of years and have been happy with them. No vibration (other than normal Pinz vibration) all the way up to highway speeds.

I haven't experienced any slow leaks either and don't use tubes.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

djw wrote: Any tubes? I am really trying to avoid having to add air on a regular basis due to sloooow leak from wheels that never envisioned tubeless.
No tubes...didn't know you could use them. I am also too new to know about loss of air, but I will keep an eye on it.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Just put a set of Treadwrights on my 710 last fall, replacing BFGs ATs. The shop couldn't spin balance the Pinz wheels as he didn't have a big enough cone to catch the hub hole, but I have not noticed any imbalance problem with the Treadwrights (they are actually noticably better/smoother running then the BFGs! The BFGs "surged" and seemed out of round, the Treadwright retreads are smmmoooth). No tubes in either on the stock rims, only problem with loosing air has come from slow leak punctures. No punctures, no abnormal air loss.

BTW, the Treadwrights are 265/75 (BFGs were 285/75) and are the "Kedge Grip" with ground glass and walnut imbedded into the rubber; two weeks ago finally went out to play in the snow and ice and pulled a full size PU a mile up a roughly 10-12% grade with out chains. I was impressed by the traction; I would have had to chain up at least one axle to do the same with the BFGs. I got over 7 years service from the BFGs, if I get at least 3-4 from the Treadwrights I'll have saved money.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg »

I am running a set of treadwrights with dynabeads on my 712 and have had no problems even with mud clumped on the wheels at highway speeds. No problem with pressure leaks even airing down to 15. I run 285 x 75 on stock rims with no problems.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Dynabeads as well here for a year, no leaking, great ride (as great as can be expected). Quite surprisingly smooth on highway....
1972 710m
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Can you use the dynabeads inside tubes...if you could get them in there?
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I suppose you could get them in there through the valve, they do sell them for that application...not sure if they work the same.
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

IIRC, the beads for the larger lugged truck tires are the larger size beads, which do not go through a valve stem. I've also heard of guys using plain ol' bb's on really big tires.
Old Warrior

Post by Old Warrior »

Hi Pardner !
Been working on my 710K for a year now and one of the first things I did was to replace the stock military knobies.
Have a close friend who is a manager at a Big O tire shop and he set me up with same tires and tubes that the mining companys use on their vehicles. The tires are "TOYO" 10 ply M-55 LT 245/75 R16. They run great on the highway and off road as well. Here the Nevada desert can be extremly tough on tires. I figured if the mines are using them, why not try em out. So far - So good. They were balanced using their machine. The only problem is that each tire/wheel with the heavy duty tubes weigh in at 110 lbs.
Good Luck with your search
Old Warrior