17 Inch Rims: Pros and Cons

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
khansmith

17 Inch Rims: Pros and Cons

Post by khansmith »

Good Morning:
I searched the forum and didn't find any particular thread commenting on the pros and cons of a 17 inch rim for a 710M pinz. I received my Pinz yesterday and the tires are dry rotted. I would like to go tubeless so I thought I might as well get new rims. I was looking at the GT/Cepek rims and figured that the 17 inch rim would offer more tire choices. Before I order them, I thought I would solicit some feedback on the Pros/Cons of such a decision.

Thanks in advance!
Khan
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
ccalingaert

Re: 17 Inch Rims: Pros and Cons

Post by ccalingaert »

Tubeless tires work fine on the stock rims. The 5 x 160mm bolt pattern is very uncommon and will limit your choices in replacement wheels, or at least drive up the price.
Chris
'74 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

And 17" tires are generally more expensive. I've now saved a lot of money using www.treadwright.com retreads on both my trucks. I had as large as 285/75R16 on the stock rims (worked just fine) but the steering became tougher with the wider tires. Went back to 265/75R16 and am much happier.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

ccalingaert wrote: The 5 x 160mm bolt pattern is very uncommon .

please tell me what other vehicle use this bolt pattern????
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

When researching before this post, I found that some had issues with tubeless tires on the stock rims. Hence why I was looking at after market rims.
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

Regarding mounting; Is the pinz difficult for a tire shop to deal with in regards to jacking up the vehicle? If not, is there a common protocol I can share with the shop?
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Is the pinz difficult for a tire shop to deal with in regards to jacking up the vehicle? If not, is there a common protocol I can share with the shop?
Simplist way is put one floor jack under the front diff and lift both front wheels off the ground, WHILE the rear wheels are not jacked up. Then reverse the proceedure for the rear wheels by using the rear diff.

They can also jack each axle (I usually put the jack under the axle joint and clamping bolts) and with four jacks you can lift the whole vehicle.

Short lift floor jacks usually can't lift from the diff without a block on the jack to give a higher lift. This is not the most stable method to use.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I am in agreement with Jim M. in regards to tire size. When the Pinzgauer was designed they could have fitted bigger tires. They didn’t. I’m continually amazed at the thought that went into the design and manufacture of these trucks. Think long and hard before modifying small changes can snowball.
Many old posts on tires. The tires I am running are BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain TA KM2 255/85/16 Load Range E, my next set will be one size smaller, much closer to the stock size. BTW my tires are mounted on stock rims and are being run tubeless without problems.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

edzz wrote:I am in agreement with Jim M. in regards to tire size. When the Pinzgauer was designed they could have fitted bigger tires. They didn’t. I’m continually amazed at the thought that went into the design and manufacture of these trucks. Think long and hard before modifying small changes can snowball.
Many old posts on tires. The tires I am running are BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain TA KM2 255/85/16 Load Range E, my next set will be one size smaller, much closer to the stock size. BTW my tires are mounted on stock rims and are being run tubeless without problems.
This is also worth noting (about offset). Pinz is pretty well designed as it is until we start mucking with the geometry:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7448&p=54467&hilit=#p54467
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

Thanks so much for all your input guys. I really appreciate it and will take your comments about original size to heart.
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I also run on www.treadwright.com recaps BFG 245/75/16. Previously had BFG 285/75/16 and when I wore them out switched to the size closer to the original Pinz tire size.
There is so much clearance under this thing that another inch isn't going to get me anything and the retreads are less expensive. I prefer to save the cash for the
gas to get there.

Had one extra rim that was a spare with a new tire on it and sold that.

Had issues with tubeless on one of the rims with the 285's so I put in tubes all around. Don't use them with these 245's. Still use balancing beads though, not weights.
Have a bit of air loss with one of the rims but that was the same as before...might be the rim...don't know.

With the smaller tires I can get into the garage with no issues now and still get over all the things I did before.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford