Spring ???'s

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Roverchef
Germany

Spring ???'s

Post by Roverchef »

What are K and M front spring lengths when new? I searched the forum but couldn't find the answer. If you were to replace the front saggy springs on a 710K...which ones would you use...diesel ones? I have an idea for a cheaper spring but I would like to know the spring rate/length of the stock one's if anyone knows it before I go and "Franken-pinzy" the front end suspension.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Spring ???'s

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Mark had six sets made from the company in Kansas. I am not aware of any of them still in trucks. The original springs have a variable spring rate which is hard to get made. The rod diameter of the spring is smaller at the ends. The spring rates for the three stock springs are in the manuals. Stan and Mark came up with a design to help with the ride height. The book also list different sizes of pinz that the spring cup sets on to make the body adjustments.
I will get some pics up tomorrow of the difference the mod made to my truck.
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Thank you for the info. I know the springs are "progressive" which would make them variable and not linear type. I may go on and try my little experiment and see how they work hence I have @ least twenty different sets laying around the shop that seem to be the same LxWxH as the ones that came off the rig. Thanks again in advance for any help.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

while Mark was working on getting the springs made I hit up a local suspension company that I worked on many projects with to help wiht the springs. I gave them an example and the spring rates listed in the manuals. They could not find any that would just drop in. If you are able to find an off the shelf spring I am sure some would be very interested.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Front View with sagging springs and after with Mark/Stan's modification.
Attachments
front view (Small).jpg
front view (Small).jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
100_3307 (Small).JPG
100_3307 (Small).JPG (66.33 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

I asume the 1st photo is w/ the new springs and the lower 2nd photo is before the change...?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Yep, does not show up well on the camera photo with the shadows. I will try to get a better one in the next day or two once things calm down a bit. It actually raised my front bumper height 3.5".
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

sooooo. what is the mod you did on your truck??? can we see pics :?: :?: :|
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

I am in the process of a front winch bumper and by adding that weight to the front end will definitely finish off the already saggy springs hence they are only a "Beavers Fart" (water tight) from riding on the bump stops. I'll post pics when it's done and if the spring replacement works I'll definitely let everyone know what I used so you too can level-out your Pinzy!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I added a winch and tub steel bumper and dropped the front about 3/4 inch. Not enough to worry about as I still get over the things on the trail.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford