What are "Good" Brakes on a Pinzgauer

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.

Are you comfortable doing an Emergency Stop in Your Pinzgauer?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Anytime, anywhere I can lock the brakes with a single push.
77%
I thought Panic Braking Required Multiple Pumps of the Pedal.
12%
My Pinz doesn't stop, I look for the softest impact item.
No votes
Even if I press the pedal to the floor the wheels cannot lock up.
No votes
When I depress the pedal I must actively "counter steer"!
12%

Total votes: 26

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

What are "Good" Brakes on a Pinzgauer

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

Just tossing this up here because we are seeing some abysmal braking coming through the shop. Recently picked up a Pinz at auction that had been totaled when the driver had a moron pull in front of them. A light tap enough to bend the body, hence total it. Just took the truck out for a test drive......the brakes are so far out of adjustment that they require 3 pumps to get full braking. You are not going to be able to do that in a panic stop situation. My complete hypothesis is that the accident might have been avoidable if the brakes were functioning properly.

Understand proper pinzgauer brakes allow a hard single press to lock the wheels.

In a panic stop the truck should stop in a semi straight line without huge amounts of counter steer. I can tell you this is much harder to attain on a 4x4 than a 6x6, but it is what you should strive for.

Spend a little time safely testing your braking ability. It might surprise you how poor it is. The time to learn of that is NOT at the accident.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
undysworld
Norway

Re: What are "Good" Brakes on a Pinzgauer

Post by undysworld »

Scott,

Saw you just put this up, so I'll chime in. I've got "green gripper" lining on the front and rearmost axles of my 712, I adjust all 8 adjusters and clean things out every 1000k or so, and it stops on a dime with just one push. In an emergency stop situation from about 55 on dry pavement, it's braked fairly straight until it slowed a bunch and then skids to about a 45 degree stop. It's a little disconcerting at the end, because it's such a tall truck. The old magazine reviews stated that the brakes don't feel any too substantial, but to my mind, they work just fine if you keep them tuned.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I adjust mine every 12k when I look at and repack my barrings.
They work great and no over steering is necessary.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I need new shoes.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I voted based on my Hafi vs a Pinz
I know it is much lighter but I alway make sure it stops better than it goes.
Common sense in a 40 year old vehicle.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

mine always stop very well. Adjust every other oil change or about 6K miles. Have had to panic stop once so hard it tore the shoe lining from the shoes themselves. I will not allow shoes on my truck unless they are bonded and riveted. The company that relines my shoes is an old brake and clutch shop. That I am aware of they don't use any special lining and both trucks stop great.
Q

Post by Q »

p.o. must have been very meticulous- mine still stops on a dime, but i would like to have replacement parts in reserve…
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Adjusted the brakes today after my long trip around Scotland. Pads were in good condition with plenty of wear left. Only needed a click or so to get them right. Still pulls to one side or other though. It is not consistent as to which side it pulls too, so I don't think there is much I can do to make it stop straighter. Maybe the next thing is to bleed the system and replace the brake fluid.

I was pleased to remember the tip I read on here that the bolt from the arial mounts fits the brake drum puller, so thanks to who ever posted that one :)
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

The other side of the equation (often forgotten) after getting a good pedal with all the shoes adjusted equally or the fronts slightly closer is to get the alignment (toe-in) correct and the tire pressures equal.
'76 710K