Doetsch tech shocks

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ziegler

Doetsch tech shocks

Post by ziegler »

I've been trying to find the number for Doetsch tech shocks in Calif. I need to send four back for a rebuild...does anyone have their contact info? Thanks Zig
berger
Canada

Re: Doetsch tech shocks

Post by berger »

ziegler wrote:I've been trying to find the number for Doetsch tech shocks in Calif. I need to send four back for a rebuild...does anyone have their contact info? Thanks Zig

Tel: 1-800-8-SHOCKS
Fax: 619-442-7307
515 Raleigh Avenue
El Cajon, CA 92020
Email: doetschtec@aol.com
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

Thanks a million Berger. Zig
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

if you have the same luck I do with them, you would be better off just getting a different brand. I put them on my 712 (BIGGEST) mistake I could have made. I know when it is time to change the oil in my engine just by looking at my shocks. When they are pucking oil it has been about 3K miles.

I did not want to go with the new Ranchos as they are a gas shock, still looking for a suitable replacement.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

4x4Pinz wrote:if you have the same luck I do with them, you would be better off just getting a different brand. I put them on my 712 (BIGGEST) mistake I could have made. I know when it is time to change the oil in my engine just by looking at my shocks. When they are pucking oil it has been about 3K miles.

I did not want to go with the new Ranchos as they are a gas shock, still looking for a suitable replacement.
Thanks for the insight on these. I too will need to change out mine on my 712 soon and will keep this in mind when looking.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Doetsch has 2 types of shocks for the Pinz - the HV-1 series which are the rebuildable ones and another series (part #8132) that Scott at EI carries that are significantly less expensive but not rebuildable.

I started off with the HV-1 shocks, which were the only ones available at the time (early 2007), that began to leak in less than a year. By then Scott had worked with Doetsch to produce the shock he carries so I gave those a try. They're still on my '73 710M and work great - smooth but firm ride and no leaks. I've installed them on 3 more 710's I've had, including the '72 I still have and I've been happy with them on all of the trucks. I don't know what Doetsch charges for rebuilding the HV-1's but it might not be much different to buy new shocks from Scott. Just a thought...

Edit: I seem to remember the non-rebuildable ones are made in Mexico, possibly by Monroe (?)
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Scott had me send them back to Doestch. Doestch rebuilt mine but I think they are the early ones. The cost was close to replacement cost and it took a long time to get them back. With the bad experience I have had with them I don't think I would be in a hurry to go back.

pcolette: Glad to hear you are having a good experience with them on the 710's, have you tried them on a 712? 712's tend to set heavier on the front ends. curious if the newer ones hold up to more than just driving the highways.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

4X4Pinz: No, I haven't tried them on a 712 nor do I know anyone who has. Maybe someone else will chime in - I'm curious too.

The early ones were machined out of aluminum and pretty sharp looking. They also had a option for adding an external reservoir. As I recall they cost me about $110 each. The ones that I'm now using are your typical steel tube shock with a black rubber boot.

I have about 5+ miles of trails on my farm and while not very severe they do give the shocks somewhat of a workout. I use the '72 to haul loads of firewood out of my woodlot - again, not severe but more than just road miles. For the price (about $65 each), I'm happy with them.

Not many choices out there.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

We also had problems with the Rebuildable shocks and were very much interested in an alternative when Doetsch offered to have their manufacturer (Well Known Brand) change up the shock body length and produce the non-rebuildable shocks with the Pinz valving. To date we have sold well over 500 of the non-rebuildable shocks since 2009.

I have had 4-6 warranties and of those 3 were when the old shock body length had made it into production. Not bad considering.

In 2009 I sent 140 shocks to Sierra Leone for our pinz contract. If any location/country can put shocks through the paces it is this account. Nothing but rave reviews.

The biggest problem we saw with the rebuildables was the poor quality chroming done on the shafts. 6-10 months in salt air and they were a rusty mess. We have not seen ANY shaft corrosion problems on the 8132's.

I do not know of any alternative on the market (other than custom manufactured $$$) that keeps the stock valving and the proper shock body lengths like the 8132.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Anyone know the Extended and Collapsed lengths?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I have Scott's EI Doetsch shocks all around on my 712 since August 2012. They replaced original Pinz shocks with a much firmer ride. Noticeable improvement with the additional weight of the cage on my front end. About 1000 road/ forest road miles on them so far with no complaints.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have Scott's EI Doetsch shocks on my 710 for about two years now and they ride well and I have no complaints.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I also have Scott's shocks. They have been great. No problems at all.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

damn, well guess i need to order a half dozen. they are on the way - we will see how they do!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)