When to replace shocks?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
berger
Canada

When to replace shocks?

Post by berger »

I have been eying the shocks at EI, but I am just not sure if I need them yet.

When it comes to a domestic car or truck, I can determine when it is time, but I am not so certain on the Pinz. Being a cab over makes it slightly harder to tell, for me anyway, because you feel the road more so than a regular vehicle...and it is pretty stiff. The shocks aren't leaking, or anything that is noticeable, but the ride seems hard on tarmac and offroading over rocks seemed to involve a lot of bucking....not me on the clutch I swear!

How do you guys tell?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Re: When to replace shocks?

Post by krick3tt »

I just thought it was time to change them out. I am certain (fairly certain) that they were the military originals and since I have no idea of the date of install
I just got the ones from EI and had a friend help me put them on.

Actually he did most of the work as he had a large compressor and air tools to remove the nuts and install the new ones.
It is good to have friends with tools and knowledge of such things. Priceless.

With the springs and the pinz being so heavy anyway it is not like bouncing on the bumper like an ordinary car. But I tried that anyway. Hard to break old habits.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

In most cases the original shocks should be replaced. The newer shocks give a much better ride. I contacted Doesch and got them put on my 712, The ride is much better now. One of the guys put them on his 710 with good results.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks guys.

I think I am going to do it. The truck has been running awesome since I sorted out the dizzy, locking collar and timing. How pronounced of a change was the shock conversion? What changed? How much different was the offroad versus Tarmac experience?

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the first thing you notice is the loss of the feel for the road. It really cushioned out the blacktop getting to the dirt. No real bounce difference noticed offroad. The minor imperfections in the trail seemed to disappear though. I had the doestch rebuildables on the truck before and they never seemed to last very long. I am hoping these work out much better. doestch seemed to have lots of praise for these and not much good to say about their older versions.