Treadwright psi?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
mockingbird812

Treadwright psi?

Post by mockingbird812 »

I installed a set of new Treadwright 235/85R16 crawler M/Ts on my K. My old Maloyas took 29 psi for road use and was wondering what folks have found to be a good psi for on and off road.

Thanks!
Sam
'71 710K
krick3tt

Re: Treadwright psi?

Post by krick3tt »

I run my Treadwright tyres at 40 PSI. Rarely let air out for the trail, but maybe down to 30. The treads are deeper than 1/2 inch and that is lots of grab for the places I go.
I don't rock climb much.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Check the treadwright website for the PSI in the description. I'm a little weird about airing down and tend not to. Easier to turn the wheel =)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You can air down to about 18psi safely when off-road. The gains are massive, esp. with climbing, grabbing rocks, edges, etc. The rough ride is also decreased. In a place like Moab, it's not really a choice.

I saved someone's ass some time ago by changing their tires from about 45psi down to about 20. They were trying all night to escape a deep ravine where there was only one way in and out. They called me from a higher point where their cell phone luckily worked. I showed up a few hours later after a long drive up a mountain, parked near the top and hiked down a super steep, fist-sized rock-covered trail to their truck, dropped the tires down, made sure both locks were on and drove out without slipping once. The driver was inexperienced and that one technique kept the $30,000 4x4 from needing about $1000 in winching/towing bills. (It was over 200ft down a 60 degree trail of hell)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Thanks for the info. Vince, are you saying you can air down Treadwrights down to 18 psi?

BTW, the Treadwright site says 80 psi max for my Crawler M/Ts and that you should refer to the manufacturer's recommended psi which in the case of a Pinzgauer is 2 bars or about 29 psi. Soooooooo, would other Treadwright owners set their psi at that level. Does the Maloya stout side wall allow for the lower psi than a radial casing used in a Treadwright?

Thanks
Sam
'71 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the maloya was a tube tire and not a radial tubeless. Most of the guys in the club run around 20-25psi off road on stock rims and around 50psi on the highway. I don't see any reason to change that just because of the treadwrights. As vince said airing down has many advantages, the biggest for me is the ride quality offroad. Things just don't seem to get bounced around as much.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I have never owned re-treads and have trouble trusting them personally but tire pressure specs should be the same as when new. Off-road/AT radials have tough sidewalls too and going down in that 20psi range has always worked well and likely would even prevent some types of damage since they give, and you are less likely to slip around or spin and hit something sharp.

Low air-pressure worries are more about the tire slipping off the wheel rather than the strength of the tire anyway. When you get down under 15psi you start getting a lot more tire slipping possibilities without beadlocks.

I assume the 80psi max rating is the max psi in theory for that original tire but its way over the top for the Pinz weight. 40-50 has always been what I and others I know keep to for a radial. I think I found around 40-45 was ideal on my previous Pinz and 303 while I went to around 18 off-road and never had an issue, even after a month of off-roading in Utah. With those slightly small tires you have getting down a little is even more important; I would bet they are fairly stiff compared to the 255/85 and 315/75's I'm used to and if rated that high, the load range must be high.

Highway use at low pressure can be dangerous and makes corners and braking change a lot so its best to get back up a little if you are doing much road travel mixed in. I've ended up at around 30 a few times as sort of an in-between when rough trails weren't on my plate for that day but road travel was mixed in. Facing a major trail or climb, I'd always go to the trouble to get down.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Good info Vince. I appreciate the advice. I placed 42 psi in them last week (the tire shop put them at 65 and that was scarry at speed!). I may try 35 to compare, but generally like the on-road manners so far. They are just such a different tire than the Maloyas that I am sure I will have to re-establish my normal with these Treadwrights on my Pinz. Have not been off road with these tires yet :( , but am looking forward to seeing their performance. :D
Sam
'71 710K
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Vince, how do you air up again? I have a Humvee compressor and have started but never completed an installation. I just bought some Treadwright Wardens for Florida Sand and trail rides. I would like the option of airing down.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Just finished a 1600+ mile trip to Overland Expo in Flagstaff area on the retreads from TreadWrite. No issues. Top speed was about 57 downhill. Usually 45 to 55 on flats, depending on wind.
I also got a set for the Jeep (town car) and other than a bit of whine at 40+ mph, (aggressive tread) no problems. I think the trust issue of retreads was the quality of the tires years ago. Newer seems to be better.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Keep an eye on the seam of old to new. I put a batch on my f250 and they started to crack. Took pictures and treadwright sent a new set no questions asked
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for that tip. I will watch them. So far so good.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Treadwright also has a new system that covers the whole sidewall with new rubber; no more seam between the new tread and old casing. FWIW, all the tires that I've gotten from Treadwright have had brand new casings; they must get a deal on factory blems and they retread those. Mine still had the original bluing over the white lettering!
Jim M.
712W and 710M