Had an idea for an easier way to jack up the truck

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Dr-Nuts

Had an idea for an easier way to jack up the truck

Post by Dr-Nuts »

As we know jacking up the rear of the truck is a real and stressful PITA especially for the 712s. If you took a length of aircraft cable and made a loop to go around the upper and lower shock mounts of all the rear wheels and secured the cable with cable clamps would not all the wheels lift right away? You would be creating a new limiting strap and make the job of jacking up the trucks much easier. If these were made just long enough to just slip over the mounts would be perfect. We would no longer have to jack the truck up so high to work on it.

Mark

A delusional mind is what you make of it...
krick3tt

Re: Had an idea for an easier way to jack up the truck

Post by krick3tt »

Got to see this in action!!!! Explanation is a bit fuzzy.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

Am I right that you're talking about a way of lifting from the hub, rather than from the body- so you eliminate the need to take up suspension sag when jacking?

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

get a bigger floor jack. Works very easy and leaves nothing in the way when working on the portals. I lift my 712 at the mid diff housing, then place jack stands as needed (central tube, outer body supports, axles...)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

4x4Pinz wrote:get a bigger floor jack. Works very easy and leaves nothing in the way when working on the portals. I lift my 712 at the mid diff housing, then place jack stands as needed (central tube, outer body supports, axles...)
Me too. Really simple process.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Dr-Nuts

Post by Dr-Nuts »

Yes to eliminate the lift needed to take out the slack of the Pinz limiting straps. In the garage the Pinz is in there is the garage door opener up above so clearance is an issue. I thought it would be nice to roll a jack under the truck and have the wheels come come up right off the bat. The springs would still be under load from the weight of the truck on the tires. It would be less than 20 bucks in parts and 15 min to make them up.

Mark
A delusional mind is what you make of it...
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Still...no pics. Then it didn't happen.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Morris,

I think it was more of a theoretical thing, rather than after-the-fact.

Mark,

Perhaps if your garage is really low, this might be necessary. But the idea of strapping them on just to lift the truck off the ground seems like a "real and stressful PITA", to borrow your words.

Besides, wouldn't this get in the way of removing the wheel drive unit itself?

Maybe better to just secure taller garage space for those repairs where getting the rear end lifted is needed. Keep the shorter garage for parking the truck.

FWIW, I too use a normal floor jack with a 6x6 on top. Works well and is very stable and cheap.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Paul.

I really was drawn in to a possible interesting maneuver involving the lifting of the vehicle.
Could have been worth knowing.

M
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Interesting idea.
The only thing you want to make 100% sure is that your cable and clamps will hold the force accumulated by the weight of 2 half-axles, 2 wheels and the compressed leaf spring.
You don't want it to be released while you are working under your truck... you might end up pinned between the floor and the wheels... no fun in that I would imagine.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

If you're working under the lifted truck (or even just along side), and you haven't lowered it onto blocks or jack stands... well that's Darwin coming at you.
'76 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Ever since I had news of a friend being crushed by his antique car while just using the jack, I have always used stands or blocks.
Terrible lesson to learn but one worth keeping in mind.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

krick3tt wrote:Ever since I had news of a friend being crushed by his antique car while just using the jack, I have always used stands or blocks.
Terrible lesson to learn but one worth keeping in mind.
At 18 I had a 71 cuda and was changing the gear box and differential oil when she came off the jack. If not for one of the rear wheels bering patially under the car I would have broken more then the 3 ribs.
Jack it, secure all corners with stands or cribbing before climbing under her.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Although I have to say, unless something needs to be done with the wheels off the ground...the pinz has plenty of clearance for most things
that I want to do under it. I really like that.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Stekay wrote:If you're working under the lifted truck (or even just along side), and you haven't lowered it onto blocks or jack stands... well that's Darwin coming at you.
Correct! So with Dr-Nuts' cable and clamps and jack stands,, you take the weight of the wheels and half-axles off the cable, and it is just there to keep the leaf springs compressed... which would probably work (although as a 710 owner I am shooting a bit in the dark when it comes to the rear axles setup of a 712).
At worst, if the clamps don't hold, you'll end up with a truck stucked against the garage ceiling... :roll:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M