Possible Spring Problem??

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
swashplate

Possible Spring Problem??

Post by swashplate »

Symptoms:
1-I have noticed that my 710m (with radio truck mod) is higher on the right side than the left side
2-The left front tire is wearing faster on the outside edge and the right front tire is wearing evenly not like it should with wearing on the outside edge. The wear on the left tire is significant where as the wear on the right tire outer edge is almost non- existent. (Level/even)
I went and did some measurements from the top center of the limit strap bolt to the bottom center of the limit strap bolt(IN INCHES)
I did it this way as to just measure the suspension static length/dimensions for comparison purposes.

I did check air pressure and all tires are same type and size. Mileage unknown as I bought this pinz in dec. I have had the tires balanced and rotated in march.

LEFT FRONT= 17..................RIGHT FRONT=17 1/4

LEFT REAR= 17 3/8...............RIGHT REAR=17 3/4

So as far as I have read, I cannot change the camber on the truck. Is this correct? :?:

I am guessing that the tilt to the left is causing the outer edge of the left front tire wearing quicker and at the same time the right front tire is more level to the ground (due to the vehicle tilt) which causes more even tire wear to the right front tire

SO WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE? :?:
SPRINGS? :?:
OR???? :?:

Last edited by swashplate on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Possible Spring Problem??

Post by undysworld »

Rusted out spring cup?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Check the toe in first; too much/too little can pull the suspension up or down as the truck rolls along. In order to properly measure the ride height you need to have a smooth, flat surface and allow the truck to roll forward for 10-20 feet and then stop before measuring.

Also check to see that both rear springs on each side are functioning correctly (no rusted out spring cups letting pressure off one spring) as you might not notice just one out of whack.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Jimm391730 wrote:Check the toe in first; too much/too little can pull the suspension up or down as the truck rolls along. In order to properly measure the ride height you need to have a smooth, flat surface and allow the truck to roll forward for 10-20 feet and then stop before measuring.

Also check to see that both rear springs on each side are functioning correctly (no rusted out spring cups letting pressure off one spring) as you might not notice just one out of whack.

yeah, I did that. Still have the same problem. I can even see the tilt when I stand in front of the pinz and look at the lower shock bolts as they visually line up behind the tie rods.

I wonder if EI could rent out the spring compressor to me for inspection purposes? I just live 3 hours up (east) I-80 from them.
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Here are pics of all of the spring cups:

Left front...Image

Right front..

Left rear...

Right rear...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Just a guess, but what size tire are you running? Could it be uneven pressures? The reason I ask is, if there's tilt to the driver's side, that would tend to wear the tires the opposite of what you describe.
'76 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Don't look at the side of the cup. Look down inside it, that is where the mud and water sit to rust them out.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Last edited by swashplate on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Last edited by swashplate on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Tried to delete
Last edited by swashplate on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Stekay wrote:Just a guess, but what size tire are you running? Could it be uneven pressures? The reason I ask is, if there's tilt to the driver's side, that would tend to wear the tires the opposite of what you describe.

It's a suspension tilt. As I measured the eye to eye length and the measurements prove the suspension tilt. (Low on left side).
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

krick3tt wrote:Don't look at the side of the cup. Look down inside it, that is where the mud and water sit to rust them out.

Would the cup be closer to the body? Check out my pics above.

If not this would great lead to the solution.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Whether the suspension is up or the body is down will have the same result. A shorter measurement on that side. My truck's camber never looks quite the same side to side. I've always chalked it up to uneven weight distribution, or uneven pavement. Since I'm relatively lightly loaded, all the outside edges of my tires wear more.
'76 710K
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Stekay wrote:Whether the suspension is up or the body is down will have the same result. A shorter measurement on that side. My truck's camber never looks quite the same side to side. I've always chalked it up to uneven weight distribution, or uneven pavement. Since I'm relatively lightly loaded, all the outside edges of my tires wear more.
I understand the camber thing but putting the truck on level ground and since in my case its the left side down and the fuel tank is on the right I would suspect the load would level out when I'm full of fuel. But in my case on level ground with a full load of gas the left is still down unfortunately. My last 710m did not have this problem.

I have done suspension work on VW 's and motorcycles.

What I did this morning is jack up the left side until the truck was level and then measured the eye to eye dimension...it came out the same.

So I'm leaning toward the suspension issue. But which part is the question. The spring or spring tophat. I hoping its not the spring as its kinda pricy compared to the tophat.
I'm hoping that someone who had done this before can tell me if the tophat is even on both sides ( top of hat to truck frame ) it still could be the top hat. If not. I guess its the spring

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

None of your pics scream "BAD" to me. Looks like some rust here and there, but nothing obvious.

Perhaps you could at least pin down which end of the truck has issues by jacking up one end under the diff., and seeing whether the truck retains it's cant. For instance, if you raise the rear of the truck and it appears to level out, then I'd look closely at the rear end suspension for the problem since the front then seems to hold it level.

IIRC, the rears are a piece of cake to remove, and don't require a spring compressor. (all from memory, as I have a 712) You might start there by removing and inspecting the springs for similar lengths and the cups for rust damage.