Steering idler

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Dreadnought

Steering idler

Post by Dreadnought »

Just found a small 'clunk' when I wiggle the steering wheel, the play seems to be in the idler assembly somewhere.......any pics out there to show me how to take it out, or is it all straightforward dismantling.......just what needs to come off and are there and things to look out for. I have a good cheap engineering shop nearby that should be able to cure any play once it is out.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
undysworld
Norway

Re: Steering idler

Post by undysworld »

If you're talking the center link, it's got shims in there. #30 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=05-05

I had to reshim mine once. I might have some spare shims if you're in need.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I was getting a similar problem which turned out to be that the bolt that clamps the upper and lower sections of the steering wishbone (the swivel part inside the front frame member) was loose. After being tightened properly I've never had any issues. It certainly helps to have someone wiggle the wheel while you are looking underneath so you can see where one part moves slightly and a connecting part doesn't move the same.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks people, I'll crawl around and have another look today and see just which bit is moving up and down and if there is something I can tighten up.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

It is the big swivelling part at the back (which has the drive for the speedo coming out of it) that has the play, only minor but enough to make a definite 'bump' sound when moving the steering left to right......can it be tightened? or is it a shim job and I assume I have to take off the front 'cone'/attachment bar for the body. The sequence looks to be trackrods/damper etc then undo/remove the body bolts then lastly the bolts to the transmission. When this is done, is the culprit bolted to the transmission case with any special bolts? and do I have to look out for anything? I will of course be dis-connecting the speedo drive first.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Shims are needed. Yup, pull the other crap out of the way, unbolt the swivel part and add shims as required.

Seems to me I had to remove the front guard and bumpers too, but it's been a while...
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

You are correct, the front bumpers have to come off as well, but then I suppose it is all a chance to look at bits we never see and look for any hidden corrosion, though I have to say that corrosion has not been a problem that I have to contend with......damn well built machines and built with the best steel at the time no doubt.