Tire pressure

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
krick3tt

Re: Tire pressure

Post by krick3tt »

I have also heard of filling the witches hat with lead. Not really in favor of adding superfluous weight to a 4900 lb vehicle that only has 80 hp.
Since I keep all my camping supplies in the back it seems to add enough weight.
Did have 8 60lb bags of conc mix in there for awhile to get into the garage but have since changed tire size and it fits fine now.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

krick3tt wrote:I have also heard of filling the witches hat with lead. Not really in favor of adding superfluous weight to a 4900 lb vehicle that only has 80 hp.
Since I keep all my camping supplies in the back it seems to add enough weight.
Did have 8 60lb bags of conc mix in there for awhile to get into the garage but have since changed tire size and it fits fine now.
I saw pics of someone filling the witches hat but can't find them - that is not a bad idea as it keeps the weight as low as possible.
perhaps a removable material vs lead - 00 lead shot? :mrgreen:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

On my other truck I use 28 psi when I am staying local but put them up to 36 if I go on the highway. The truck handles a lot better with higher pressure but the lower air pressure is much more comfortable on the dirt roads. My guess is that I will do something similar with the Pinzgauer. I am surprised by how non-compliant the tires are at 28 PSI. On one road around here the "leading edge" of each concrete slab of the road way is about 1/4" or 1/2" low. The Pinzgauer jolts pretty hard on these. Also, when the edge of a tire gets on the curb the tread barely deflects. My contact area drops to almost nothing.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect