Moving forward on power steering.

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
JimmyC

Moving forward on power steering.

Post by JimmyC »

I have had a bit of time lately and started work on the power steering. I have gone through all the steering, suspension and brakes now, which I wanted to do before I change anything. I have the steering box out and apart and have done enough measuring and trial fitting to see that the unit mates up well.

My plan for tomorrow is to trial fit the EZ steer unit without the steering box. Assuming that is ok I will cut the tube then paint all the parts that are off: steering wheel, steering box, pitman arm. I also will mount the electronic boxes and wire them up. I will bring the shaft And the coupler that needs to be spliced on to the machine shop Monday. I have mixed feelings about welding v shrink fit.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Re: Moving forward on power steering.

Post by EmbarkChief »

Sounds like you are well on your way. Keep us posted!
-1972 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Ran into a problem. I gave a hard look at the coupling that feeds the torque from the power unit into the stub of the steering shaft and it does not give me the warm fuzziness. The thing that bothers me is the diameter of the splines is small compared to the steering shaft. I also am concerned about the welding because it looks like it is some high end steel that might require special procedures.

I have written EZ Power Steering and asked them for test data. I have also decided that I will find some junk shafts and do some weld splices to destruction. This will take a while.

I will be putting an add in classified looking for junk shafts and steering wheels.
Jim Chance
710M

EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

If special procedures are required are you equipped to handle that?
-1972 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am a not a welder but there are good welding shops in the area. There is a pretty big marine industry where splicing shafts is common. There is also a lot of oilfield fabrication where they work with exotic metals. In my opinion something like a steering shaft needs to be tested unless it is a well proven design.
Jim Chance
710M

EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Ah, I see you are in LA so you should be in good hands.
-1972 710M
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Making a little progress. I have identified the steel in the coupler as 1045, about twice the yield strength of the steering shaft metal. It can be welded but it is difficult. I am going to the machine shop when I get back in town to see about putting a coupler rather than weld between between the steering shaft and the power steering unit.