Drive with one 712 wheel off the ground?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Maxf
Norway

Drive with one 712 wheel off the ground?

Post by Maxf »

Friends,

Is there a way to drive a 712 with one of the four rear wheels off the ground?
Like using a come-along to winch the 1/2 shaft upward?

This would be an expedient way to survive a flat if you had run out of spares.
Last edited by Maxf on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
MaxF

1973 712m Reno NV USA
"The difference between theory and practice is much greater in practice than it is in theory"
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Drive with on 712 wheel off the ground?

Post by audiocontr »

Search for the red bull truck a few years back. A come along can be used to pull the axle up for towing. I would not plan to drive it.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

could you remove 1 rear wheel (say the middle one) and drive a 712?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

could you remove 1 rear wheel (say the middle one) and drive a 712?
I know that if you remove one wheel from the rear of a 712 the drum just barely clears the ground (obviously this depends on your tire size). I've used this method on a dynamometer during testing. I would not "drive" it this way -- a rock or bump could shatter the drum and/or damage the aluminum hub casting.

On the other hand, I once had a flat on the mid axle and did not realize it; I probably drove several miles before I was flagged down. It did not do the tire any good, but I probably could have driven much further (having at least the wheel on will protect the drum and hub from most damage). This event caused me to get a tire pressure monitoring system, tubeless tires, compressor and plug kit so I can repair most small punctures by realizing the tire pressure is dropping before the tire has been destroyed. Prevention is much easier than changing to the spare (assuming you have a spare to change).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Maxf
Norway

Post by Maxf »

I know it s crazy thought...But

Yes - that is exactly my question. Lift one off the ground and drive on the other three.

If you removed the wheel and lifted the hub "somehow" - maybe winched it up or something. Maybe it requires a special piece that bolts to the hub with a bearing on it so you can hook to the end of the hub and hold it up out of danger. Hold it up by the gunnel above?

I thought I saw this done in someones Africa travel log. But can't find the reference anymore.

[RedBull PInz search did not yield and good images]
Thanks,
MaxF

1973 712m Reno NV USA
"The difference between theory and practice is much greater in practice than it is in theory"
ako

Re: Drive with one 712 wheel off the ground?

Post by ako »

I realise I am bumping a very old thread. :shock:

But if you really wanted to do this you could jack up one axle, and replace the standard 18" limit strap with a 'spare' 16" limit strap that you have bought just for this purpose.

Still I would prefer to drive with one flat and destroy a relatively cheap tire rather than a portal hub.
Maxf
Norway

Re: Drive with one 712 wheel off the ground?

Post by Maxf »

Good point - shredding the flat tire and destroying the wheel is a cheaper solution!
Thanks,
MaxF

1973 712m Reno NV USA