Sacrilege? Lowered ride height?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Sacrilege? Lowered ride height?

Post by TechMOGogy »

E_Swift wrote:
TechMOGogy wrote:
Pinzgauer Pete wrote:cant you just deflate the tires when entering the garage????
x2
Where is the like button :)
Yeah, that was my first thought. Asked the current owner when I saw the car - said he had already tried that, at least down to 10psi. Showed me the scar on his garage opening. Assuming any lower there is a good risk of popping a bead out?
For the cost of the air springs and the associated work you could buy new bead lock rims or possibly a set of Staun internal locks.
Then you can lower to any psi
Just another option that would get you into the garage - new rims would look good too :)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
flyinglow

Post by flyinglow »

I recently had to get the Pinz in the garage for replacing the axle seals. I just deflated the tires to about 10 psi and drove in. Once in the garage, I inflated them to 20. No hassle and only took a few minutes.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I changed from 33's to 31's to fit but also had to remove a portion of the header on the garage. Now I have 1/2 inch clearance to enter.
At first, I measured the height of the pinz at the cab, not thinking that the rear height is more. Driving in I tore the centre tab off the roof on the 710M. That is why I went through the effort of changing the header and tire size. I tried filling the rear with bags of conc but 15 bags only gave me a 1/2 inch lowering. (strong springs?) Bag of conc do get in the way when camping. There were lots of suggestions about lowering air pressure, but every time? The house is wood frame construction so I did not have the issue you have with masonry.
Lots of head scratching went with solving this issue. If I had lots of time and money I would have lowered the floor by replacing the slab. Then could have put in a trench to work on the vehicle from below as are used in some commercial garages.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford