tool for brake shoe replacement

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
krick3tt

tool for brake shoe replacement

Post by krick3tt »

Looking in the service manual the tool (spring nippers), to remove the shoes does not look to be all that special. Can one be obtained at a Napa store or other auto parts store?
I have the shoes from SAV and it is time to do some work. Any advanced advice will be much appreciated.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: tool for brake shoe replacement

Post by Jimm391730 »

While having a good pair of brake spring pliers is definitely helpful, mine did not fit well on the Pinz brakes. So I went back to my old standby which is to grab the straight portion of the spring wire with heavy long nose Vise Grips to pull the spring hook on and off. This worked well enough.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

I just removed my springs and shoes to do the brake backing plate replacement. I bought a brake nipper from Harbor Freight ($6). Unfortunately, I got what I paid for. It broke in half trying to reinstall the springs. BUT... a regular brake nipper works great. I bought a replacement from autozone and it worked great. You have to figure out the angle to get the leverage to uninstall and reinstall the springs; but it definitely worked. No disrespect to HF; but the nipper only lasted long enough to remove one spring. By the second one I was having trouble. By the time I went to reinstall, I figured out they had bent and ultimately broke. Just my 600 cents :D

John
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I remove the retaining pins on both shoes and then pop them out of place with the brake springs still in place. Installation is the reverse of removal, and is a pain in the arse! In my opinion, doing drum brakes on a Pinz makes me want a beer(s) as much as working on a Chevy or any other car.
Don't install the new shoes backwards like I did once, you won't get the drums on, and adjusting is impossible, too.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Got brake spring pliers from Napa ($4.99 from China) will see how it stands up to Austrian brakes, and some carb cleaner to spruce up a bit in there. Now to see how well I understand brake shoe replacement.

Thanks for the input fellas.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Morris:
I used those Chinese NAPA brake pliers to remove the springs once before. I bent the first pair pretty easily, the second pair stood up better (maybe I was more careful the second time). The rivet that holds the two halves together popped off with the stress of the brake spring, and the long arm with the spring hook bent when I put stress on the spring, then twist to get if off the brake. The second pair of pliers worked well and went with my truck.

Twist lightly.
Ed
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I found this tool when I wasn't even looking for one and it worked out better than the traditional brake tools on my recent Pinz brake job:

http://smile.amazon.com/Wilmar-W86557-B ... brake+tool

I also used a narrow nosed Vise Grip with the long springs.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I use a long, small-headed flat screw driver to hook the springs and lever them into the little spring holes. It works quickly and easily. I can't imagine any tool that would make it any easier!