rims and tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
bulrder

rims and tires

Post by bulrder »

Looking for rims, used or new for my pinz. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Bill
krick3tt

Re: rims and tires

Post by krick3tt »

Update your profile and tell us where you are located, it may lead to local information that will help in your search.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

EI just posted several pics of some trucks they were apparently parting out. You may want to give Scott a call.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

pm sent
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The steel and alloy rims used on the 2015 Ford Transit full size van (not the smaller "connect" model) are suppose to work - still looking for someone to try them... they have an actual safety bead on the edges and should hold the tire in place when running low pressure (unlike the stock rims which are easy to loose a bead).
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

I have a 12 month old Ford Transit Custom (the middle sized van). Mine has 15 inch rims, but I've just tried them on my pinz and they went straight on. Even the wheel nuts are the same thread. Much deeper nut though.
Funnily enough, I parked next to a van same as mine last weekend and it had 16 inch rims on it. Not sure why the difference, but I will be pricing up a set of 16 inch ones. Keen to get away from having to fit tubes.
I think they have slightly more offset, but I've not really looked into that yet.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You don't need to use tubes on the stock Pinz wheel.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

You don't need to use tubes on the stock Pinz wheel.
But if ya pop a bead, they're nice to have
'76 710K
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

GREAT for sledding
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hi

I have used the 6,5x16 Ford Transit rims for two years now.
They require bespoke nuts, which a member of a german Pinzgauer forum had manufactured.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I used to run tubes when I had 33's now with the 31's I do not.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The rims on the USA model of the Ford Transit full sized van are slightly different than the European vans it seems. I still haven't tried one myself to verify they fit - but all sources says they should. I believe they are also 7 inch wide rims - so an extra 1/2 inch compared to the stock rims - but also slightly less backspacing which is good when using taller tires. They also have a real safety bead which should hold the tire on the rim better at low pressures.

We also didn't get the smaller, mid sized Transit "Custom" van in USA but have a very small one they call the Transit "Connect" which is car based and uses different rims that do not fit.

A friend of a friend recently got a new Ford van and I am suppose to get to borrow his spare tire to try soon. I'll post here when I get it done.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Haf-e wrote:We also didn't get the smaller, mid sized Transit "Custom" van in USA but have a very small one they call the Transit "Connect" which is car based and uses different rims that do not fit.
Haf-e

The european "connect" model has a stud scheme 5 x 112 mm, as opposed to 5 x 160 for pinz and the "compatible" Transit models.
i got my rims from the uK; 6,5 x 16 are quite popular there with the "white van men"; Germany uses mostly 5,5 x 16
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Warren

Post by Warren »

I also use transit wheels for a secondary set of wheels and tyres, (to save my simex for intended use). They are 6.5 and the offset is identical to the pinz wheels as is the thickness of the rim. While sourcing them I found most wreckers told me they only came in 5.5, then I found one who knew a bit more about it....apparently the 6.5 inch wheel was only used on the rear of the longer wheelbased vans that were rated for higher gvm. This was the case in Australia, not sure about other countries. This could be useful info for others wanting to source these rims.
I modified mine to take the 82° tapered pinz wheelnut as the transit uses a flat bottom wheel nut, easy mod.
All in all these rims make for a very cost effective substitute for the pinz, $350 for 7 rims.
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Ok, so I just took delivery of a new transit cargo 150 here in Canada (new work van for the guys). If I were to steal the wheels...lol.....would they fit?
1972 710m