rims and tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ako

Re: rims and tires

Post by ako »

I just normally post in a hidden folder on Facebook and give direct links inside the image function like this :

[img]link-pasted-here[/img]

Or to resize on your computer you can download a free program called Irfan view which can resize all the drawings in a folder in one batch. You can make copies of the original size or save over the originals.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I was looking for any place with discounted pricing on the Ford Transit rims and found this site which has the aluminum rims listed for $180 each (including shipping) but has the steels ones at $260 a piece...

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/7376/ford_ ... _rims.html

At least here are all the ford part numbers for the USA version of the Transit.

Maybe the aluminum ones would look better if they were painted olive drab or black...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

GRCameron wrote:Ian, have you noticed any change in steering behavior with the different offset? Is bump steer is increased over the stock wheels?
Really happy with the wheels/tyres. Steering felt a bit different on the road, but not in a bad way. I also replaced worn track rod end joints, re-shimmed the relay lever and did the tracking, so all that in addition to new tyres would all have played a part.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Ian wrote:New wheels (and rubber too) in place. These are the 2015 Ford Transit Custom rims 16". 60mm offset which must be a bit more than the original as they sit out about another 1/2 each compared to the old ones. Take a standard off the shelf wheel nut with a 60deg taper.
Ian

I checked in to a local Ford dealership last week to get some info about the rims, and took these pics

The rim we talk about mounted on a Transit van

The ugly Ford nuts

detailled info on the rim for those who want to order

In your posting you mentioned "standard 60 degree nuts". Which car (make and model) can you refer to when ordering ?
The shops all work computer based, no one can grab them from a drawer anymore ...
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I may catch slack for this.... but why are rims for the Pinz so elusive? Couldn't I use any rims that are lug-centric and have the correct bolt pattern?
1977 Austrian 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Im new to the game and looking for double beadlock rims. The early Pinz's have a very uncommon bolt pattern of 5x160 with a very positive backspace and specific lug well. Tom at Cepek wants $710 per wheel for an aluminum Hummer rim a d a faux beadlock. I am looking into trail ready tomorrow and then running some Staun inner air locks.
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =18&t=8537
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The 710 and 712 wheels use a large bolt circle - so not that many rims will work - even if they can be custom drilled. The same bolt circle is used on Ford Transits, old German Tempo/Hanomog/Mercedes-Benz vans and Maharinda trucks of India. The only confirmed exchangeability is with the Ford Transits.

TrailReady does offer a custom drilled version of one of their rims with a true beadlock (on the outside edge only) that fits the Pinz but the backspacing is less making them stick out more. The Staun inner type beadlocks do work but there has been some issues with the placement of their valve stem as the hole in the Pinz rim is very off to one side. They also are now offered by a different company and are much more expensive - about $200 per wheel. The only downsides to the Trailready rim is that the are only available in 17 inch diameter, have less backspacing and are 8 inches wide. I have seen a set in person on a Pinzgauer that is the the Wenatchee WA area - They look nice - just use tires a bit wider and that stick out more than I wanted.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =18&t=8537

I just order and got in a set of the European Ford Transit steel rims - 6.5x16 with an ET of 60 which puts them just under one half inch / about 12 mm farther outward compared to the standard Pinz rim. These are slightly different than the US Ford rims in that they have 18 round holes instead of the 10 oval holes used on the US versions. I ordered the off of EBAY from a German company and got them for about $70 USD each including shipping to me here in WA state. It seemed like to good of a deal to pass up. I ordered them on Nov 30th and they were delivered on December 4th to my place in WA state - shipping was $32 total. They are very similar looking to what was just posted - but I think a different manufacturer?

I got them from an ebay seller "Tunershop-Germany" and they were brand new never mounted in original boxes - the front side of the rim is silver - not black as shown on the Ebay listing. Just be very careful when ordering because there are rims with 5 and 5.5 inch widths x 16 and also some 15 inch rims also. Here is a link: http://stores.ebay.com/TUNERSHOP-GERMAN ... 7675.l2563

I plan on getting a set of the 9x34 Swamper LTBs for them to use when doing serious off-roading as I've put sticks through several tires lately and also need more traction off road. My set of Trxus 255/85-16 will become my road / snow tires - probably will have them siped for better traction too.

The Ford rims weigh 28 lbs each compared to 30 pounds for the stock rims (but I had mine originals hot dipped galvanized so that may have added a pound or so to the original's weight). The new ones look very similar to the ones used on my sprinter and the later TD Pinzgauers. The new Ford rims also have a safety bead on the inside - so hopefully the tires will stay on better when aired down off road. The lug bolts need to be 60 degree taper type instead of the original "ball seat" type.

This Ebay seller also has a lot of 4x98 bolt circle rims which should fit Haflingers - both steel and aluminum - in 13, 14 and 15 inch diameters.

I'll post up some photos soon of them side-by-side.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I haven't sourced lug nuts for my new Ford Transit rims yet - but I a pretty sure that the lug nuts used on the Chevy Astro / GMC Safari vans are the correct M14 and 60 degree taper type - that is where I will start checking from. Here in the USA nearly all auto part stores have a display of different lug nuts to compare and select - but the quality of the aftermarket lugs is sometimes not as good as OEM ones.

I'll post what I find here once I make it to the store and try them out. The stock Ford lug nuts are very ugly - the shape of the lug nut is used to hold on a plastic trim cap thing...
Last edited by Haf-e on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

20151205_165838.jpg
20151205_165838.jpg (600.38 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
20151205_165154.jpg
20151205_165154.jpg (596.17 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
20151205_165848.jpg
20151205_165848.jpg (500.87 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
20151205_165737.jpg
20151205_165737.jpg (446.57 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Good news! Thanks for posting the info.

I would love to see a front shot of the pinz with the Trail Ready beadlocks and how far out the stick from the body.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Not everyone goes for larger wheels

I need to get my Pinz 10 cm lower, so it fits into a garage I may use for free; so I modified VW emergency spare wheels...

Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

^^^ NICE! I did a set similar for a 4runner once, didn't machine the centers like you did but also ran temp tires.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The guys at GUT automotive in Switzerland made up some flat metal disks with rubber edging that were just larger than the drums to let them catch the ferries with the normal height charges. Made the pinzs look very odd.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Ordered 5 wheels from the boys in Mt Vernon @ Trail Ready. That's Tim aka compunerdy for the tips.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Test fit them on my pinz - no problems. Can't imagine that a 15 inch rim would clear the tie-rod ball joint BTW.

I checked the backspacing again - looks like they sit further out by 1/2 of an inch / 12 mm.
Attachments
20151207_140442.jpg
20151207_140442.jpg (562.55 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com