Brake Adjustment

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ziegler

Brake Adjustment

Post by ziegler »

I removed the rims and placed three lugs on the rotor before accessing the adjustment screw through the hole in the rotor, only problem is that I cannot turn the adjustment screw. What do I do next. The brakes seem fine but I wanted to adjust them while I'm getting new tires placed on the rims. Thank you
undysworld
Norway

Re: Brake Adjustment

Post by undysworld »

I guess I'd remove the drum and verify that the adjuster is free to move. Note the direction it moves. Try again.

Remember that one front wheel (IIRC, right side) has adjusters that turn in the opposite direction of the rest of the truck, and that there are two adjusters on each front wheel.
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Brake Adjustment

Post by Profpinz »

I always pull the adjusters apart when I fit new shoes, as they can seize up given all the mud etc and heat they endure.
Coat the brass "toothed rotator" with a little anti-sieze/copper-coat grease on the outer surface and the internal thread and you should have no trouble adjusting the brakes in the future.

Additionally I have found over the years that the internal thread in the "brass rotator" can get a little damaged especially if the are wound out fully due to worn shoes, so I usually heli-coil them for durability.

It's funny really, because I only replaced all the brakes shoes a few weeks ago and although the adjusters were in good condition and working well, I still did the above for repeated effectiveness.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com