Split Tailgate Latch

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
oilcan
United States of America

Split Tailgate Latch

Post by oilcan »

Hi all - have a 712M with a split tailgate/ barndoor tailgate. Part of the latching mechanism is a vertical pole that slides up and down when closing the door. I feel like there should be a receiver for the pole in the bed of the truck, but see no evidence, and i can't find any mention on this forum or my owners manual.

Anyone have these gates? pictures to follow... appreciate the help
Attachments
IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG (99.13 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
IMG_1787.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG (97.81 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Split Tailgate Latch

Post by pcolette »

Maybe this diagram will help? : http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=28-26

I've never seen the barn doors in person but have always been intrigued by them.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

Thanks - realized i commmited a major faux pas - this was my first post and i didn't share anything to make it worth everyone's while!

the truck is a 1976 712M - its my first pinz, i've wanted one for about 10 years now. It's overall in really good condition (i think) and i have spent the last few weekends eagerly crawling all over it and taking it apart in more and more depth.

The ODO shows about 5,000K, which is since rebuild.

currently i'm doing what needs to be done to make it start and run safely for me and the truck, after that i will make it more fun.

First things first, i'm going to install a new muffler (old one is really shot) and rebuild the carbs. I've changed the oil in the engine and the portals.

The tailgate is currently kept snug with a bungie cord, though its really just to keep it from rattling. I know the folks at SDP built the door to stay closed better than it is, which is why i know im missing something.

after the mechanical bits... more cleaning, treating and preventing the spot rust (primarily in the bed), and maybe... paint?
Attachments
set up for a fourth of july parade....
set up for a fourth of july parade....
IMG_1734.JPG (152.36 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Your truck may have been a conventional 712M ( with a single door)and the doors retrofitted from a Rapier truck and the the bottom strike hole not drilled. The Rapier doors would have been noisier and rattled more.
Look for holes drilled on the inside of your bed area for telltale signs of missile racks.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Those are the Rapier doors; I have the same. They actually latch into a lip on the missile storage racks that were originally installed in the rear of the truck. You will have to make a simple latch and attach it to the bed of the truck to have the doors secure properly. I made one in about 15 minutes from a piece of 1" A36 steel angle. I'll try to attach a photo and maybe an image of my original CAD drawing for mine.

If I recall, I secured mine with strong steel Marson brand rivets I got from Fastenall.
Attachments
P8150005.JPG
P8150005.JPG (126.95 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG (459.21 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG (319.99 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Last edited by CentAr712 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Actually, the Rapier doors were never installed by SDP, they were retrofitted later by another Swiss company; all Rapier trucks started life as a 712 M. There actually never was a strike hole, or any other holes drilled in the truck to mount the missile racks. All the racks were mounted using the existing seat mounting holes. My truck came straight from Switzerland and I was the first civilian owner, so it still had the racks installed when I got it. Mine is also a 1976. I think the doors themselves were actually made by a company called Hesso, if I recall correctly.

Too bad you didn't get the missile racks, you got cheated out of a nice six pack jerry-can rack that also came installed in the rear.
Chris.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

With a latch striker installed, there should be no rattling whatsoever; my doors latch up snug and tight with no issues whatsoever. I actually prefer them and they are great for loading and unloading camping gear from the bed, the only issue is that you need to find an accessible place to keep your spare tire. I keep mine in the rear, in the well, near the doors, but I built a deck that bridges the well so I can store camping gear on top, while still able to easily pull out my spare in case of a flat.
Chris.
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

Nice, thanks for all the great feedback and ideas. That's a great looking strike plate you made there centar712.

No missile racks for me unfortunately... I guess I'll make a strike.

You're right, I do recall seeing 'hesso' on the doors.
The latch on the door looks to be of a slightly different build / vintage than the one on SAV diagram, like the rest of the truck it's over engineered to excess. 8)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Nice looking 712, appears to be in great shape. Have fun!
1972 710m
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Perfect write-up... my buddy needs to do the exact same thing.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer