Folding windshield kit

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
NEWFISHER

Folding windshield kit

Post by NEWFISHER »

Hello,

I did a little searching and didn't find the info and also talked with Scott at EI. He thought a member was producing the pieces in a kit type form. Anyone?
Scott can get "most" of the pieces, but I would like to buy complete from a member including the top w/shield frame to top bits.

Thanks,

Jon
kdiqq
United States of America

Re: Folding windshield kit

Post by kdiqq »

If I kit isn't available, I have access to both an Austrian (factory folding windshield) and Swiss (no folding windshield) Pinzgauer and I'd be happy to make a kit if there is enough interest. It won't be too hard.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Thanks!
Sent you a pm
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have never seen or heard of a "kit" but who knows - someone out there may have one, I just have never seen it.
Anyone else see a kit before?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You guys are making a big thing out of nothing. :roll:
The Austrian truck had all the hardware to fold and a "quick release" at the windshield for the canvas. The Swiss trucks have the hinges, not the holding brackets or quick release top.

The Swiss trucks have the hinges at the bottom of the frame. The "locks" on the inside for the frame may be the same one used as the Austrian trucks ( a hinged piece) , or a solid piece of steel (Swiss Pinzes have had either type) None of the Swiss would have had the the knobs ( not big deal, use a wrench on the bolt) that held the "frame lock".

The top of the frames were different, I doubt anyone wants to pay the money for a new front canvas and hardware...On the Swiss trucks just remove the leather belts from the loops and peel the canvas and roll it up. The straps are on the roll bar for tying the canvas in place. Leave the angle piece with the loops on the frame, there is no need to remove it. The Swiss still rolled the canvas back, just didn't want the windshield folded down

Now, the only items needed are the actual brackets with the mounting plates and springs... there is nothing magical on the rest to warrant spending big money.

Back when I did have gas Pinzes, I was given a "kit"(someone had ordered the components separately and put them in a bag). Just 2 frame retaining pieces, 2 knobs and 2 hinged frame lock pieces.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

That's all I had planned to make.

Just a nice one-piece bracket that attached at the headlights that would both support and secure the windshield.

That way there is no need to order the brackets AND the headlight bumpers. It was going to be a pretty cheap part too. I have a few preliminary models and drawings put together, I just need to take a few measurements from a soft-top Swiss Pinz.

The only real challenge in this is just restraining the the windshield correctly. Didn't mean to make it sound like this was a huge undertaking.
1977 Austrian 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Just copy the Austrian bracket and bolt to the front of the truck next to the Swiss's headlamp guard, or remove the inner guard.
Just make sure you find a spring that won't let the bracket come off the windshield frame
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

It's not exactly a clean 'bolt on' affair. The Austrian bracket is welded on, not bolted. Plus, observe the boss behind the bracket. That's where a hole would be if you removed the Swiss headlamp guards. So this would already require welding and filling a hole (which could be as simple as a bolt, admittedly)

Then you have the process of drilling additional holes for the Austrian bracket as it is also different.

Again, I'm hoping to simply this process by having a one or two piece design that just bolts on.

Just for fun, here is the cool knob you get.

That one might be worth getting just for the bling.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Would like a price on the brackets and knobs. Pm'ed you.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

kdiqq wrote:That's all I had planned to make.

Just a nice one-piece bracket that attached at the headlights that would both support and secure the windshield.

That way there is no need to order the brackets AND the headlight bumpers. It was going to be a pretty cheap part too. I have a few preliminary models and drawings put together, I just need to take a few measurements from a soft-top Swiss Pinz.

The only real challenge in this is just restraining the the windshield correctly. Didn't mean to make it sound like this was a huge undertaking.
I'm definitely interested in this setup. I, as well as others, truly appreciate your investment of time in this project.
1972 710m
Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

I have a complete set of these, less the body welded brackets. I don't want to sell them, but could photograph and draw them up for you guys. The body bracket could be moved inboard as long as it was parallel to the windshield frame. I might have an extra pair of the windshield "Pinz" bolts also.

Let me know,

Mike
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Sourced all of the parts I need through Haflingertech.com in the U.K. except for the inner Puch knobs and hinged inner bracket. I fabbed my own inner bracket, picked up some generic knobs from Cold War and will build the body mounts to attach the rest. I plan on incorporating a strap style lock down and a padded slip cover for the windshield when in the down position to protect from limbs and glare.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Pic of the goods
uploadfromtaptalk1458185159267.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458185159267.jpg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Those rubberized ends are nice
1977 Austrian 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

kdiqq wrote:Those rubberized ends are nice
Plasti Dip, useful for re-coating the rifle mounts etc great stuff available as dip or spray, many colors available.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.