Adhesive for windshield weather strip

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
kdiqq
United States of America

Adhesive for windshield weather strip

Post by kdiqq »

As the title states I'm looking for the type of adhesive used for the piece of weather-stripping used between the body and windshield. Mine was leaking profusely on my feet and I decided to replace it but the the replacement strip is noodley as ever and will have to be glued in like the factory one was.

Appreciate the help!
1977 Austrian 710M
63rover
Canada

Re: Adhesive for windshield weather strip

Post by 63rover »

Don't know what is authentic but Permatex Form a Gasket Sealant is amazing stuff. Sealed the leaky windscreen on my Jag. Now it only leaks everywhere else. :shock:
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

No adhesive used I believe. PM Dave Dunn he knows this stuff better than anyone.
He did my windshield and nothing used other than make sure all surfaces were clean,
I asked. I think he has a trick for a weeping seam if one where to occur.
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

I just replaced my windshield with one of the excellent replacements that Dave offers.

There is no sealant used if you have the proper weatherstrip. New ones can be had from our site sponsor: http://www.expedition-imports.com/7111720311.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

As been said, no sealants needed if you have a good gasket. But, if your gasket has seen better days, For years we used to use a auto body/windshield sealant that never harden. It actually would still "flow" a little in hot weather. If you like to fold the windshield down, windshield urethane between the gasket and pinchweld on the inside will retain the gasket on the pinchweld. I do not like urethane as a repair sealant

DO NOT use silicone, it is a half a$$ fix that will not last over time, if it fixes it at all in the first place, and difficult to fix after silicone was used.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

3m weather strip adhesive will keep the gasket in place between the windscreen frame and body. Found at any auto parts store.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The weatherstrip adhesive is a poor choice for this type of gasket and windshield installation.

The urethane is installed After the glass/gasket is installed, and easily cut loose if the glass needed to be removed.
This is the method most all car manufacturers did during the changeover from gaskets to glue-in windshield installations

Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

kdiqq wrote: adhesive used for the piece of weather-stripping used between the body and windshield
Has nothing to do with the glass itself. just the body to frame gasket.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Thanks all for the tips!

Andre is right though, it's just the strip that goes between the body and windshield frame. Luckily, I'm not dealing with any glass this time!
1977 Austrian 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

To go back to the original post. The answer is no adhesive was used between the the body and gasket or between the glass and gasket.
If they leaked, a sealant was used to solve the problem. Weatherstrip adhesive were use to hold door seals and gaskets, and are not a sealant.

I started doing glass work and autoglass back in the early '70s and have seen all types of things used to try to seal a windshield. I have seen where someone had attempted to seal a windshield with 3M adhesive that made a big mess I had to clean up before I could seal the windshield. Adhesives and silicone were 2 of the worse things I had to deal with.

The use of an adhesive in gasketed windshields came from windshields popping out in frontal collisions. VW Bugs were the first to be targeted for this. Their solution was a series of clips on the pinchweld that 'bit' into the gasket to hold the assembly in. Other manufacturers would use a urethane bead inside the gasket to glass and around the pinchweld to the gasket to make the whole unit secure. Today, most all windshields are "glued" in. This also adds to the rollover integrity of the A pillars and roof.

Now, IF you have a gasket that is torn, adhesive may be use as a visual fix. If badly torn or deteriorated, replace the gasket.

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

The one I removed had an adhesive between the weather strip and body. It was that super tacky and stretchy glue like you sometimes find in junk mail. I had to use a solvent to get it (and a few pieces of stuck weatherstrip) off. Idk who would have applied it but the application was very clean, no over application anywhere and it was simple enough to remove. I just feel like having something similar would help a lot. It's so super noodley. The first time I fold the windshield down, it'd just flop out. I'm not sure how anyone could get by with no adhesive and still be able to fold the windshield down.
1977 Austrian 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

From what you just wrote, you have sealant,and is just for leaks. If on the outside of the pinchweld and under the gaket, that is what it was for. If the glass/gasket fall out, you definitely have something wrong with the gasket and or the glass is cut small. No way the glass should fall out just laying the frame over.
Post a pic of the gasket, if it's torn, it will need to be replaced. Another person that had restored an Austrian Pinz and said the gaskets weren't made so had to use 2 single windshield gaskets to get the material for the division bar.

And again, once the glass/gasket are right, used windshield urethane on the pinch weld on the inside of the truck,under the lip of the gasket

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I think maybe the OP is referring to this:
seal.jpeg
And Dave is referring to this:
gasket.jpeg
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Paul,
you may be right. The OP might mean between the body and windshield frame, not windshield.
That seal should have large head rivets holding it to the body... at least that's what I remember from my 710 and 712 a bunch of years ago.
Or my 716.. :?

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

As they say - a picture is worth a 1000 words
:D
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker