New Camping Setup

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Bruce Berger

New Camping Setup

Post by Bruce Berger »

I decided to scrap the cheap plastic Costco boxes I've been using for my camping gear and got some quality Zarges boxes. I removed the other seat on the right side to make a perfect space for the boxes. They fit like they were designed to go there. They remind me of the fitted luggage from upscale '50s European cars.

The ratchet straps have flat metal hooks that use the lip on the underside of the top of the body side panel.

I added an aluminum bar using some spacers and the mounting holes for the seat to anchor the other end of the ratchet straps.

I took the Pinzi out for the first time with this setup over Memorial Day weekend. I was with a group that went to Coyote Flats and Sanger Meadows in the Sierra Nevada mountains outside of Bishop, CA. The boxes were rock solid. I was able to negotiate the very rough trail to Sanger Meadows without any problems. So far, I'm very happy with this setup. I can carry my gear and still leave a narrow aisle in the middle.

Another addition is a real mattress for my bad back. A half queen mattress fits perfectly on the folded seats. It always seems luxurious to sleep between sheets while camping. You can even get fitted sheets for a split queen mattress on the Internet.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Profpinz
Australia

Re: New Camping Setup

Post by Profpinz »

Great setup!
JFI, I hadn't heard of Zarges boxes so I looked them up .......Pricey, but a nice product.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Well done sir. Looks slick but solid.
1972 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Looks great!

Which size of the Zarges boxes did you go with?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I'm using 2 Zarges 40564 and 4 Zarges 40568 boxes. They are all from the K-470 series which include reinforced corner peices to facilitate stacking. They are not cheap but I wanted to set up the interior for longer trips and the boxes are much cheaper than an Earthcruiser. The 40568 boxes are also bear resistant rated just in case I'm somewhere that requires bear resistant food storage and the rangers would happen to check. Although, I'm not sure that sleeping in the back of a soft sided truck with my food and fridge is such a good idea in bear country. At least they will have a hard time getting to my food after they are finished with me :shock: .
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Very nice setup.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford