Drivers Side Glass

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
jrcotner
United States of America

Drivers Side Glass

Post by jrcotner »

I need to replace the sliding glass on my PInz door top, and after seeing the price for OEM glass I'm going to try a local glass shop to see what they'd charge to cut the piece. Does anyone know where to find the measurements for this piece of glass?

Also, I've seen few Pinz's for sale lately with soft door tops. I've looked around for this item but haven't found any. Does anyone know if these are available anywhere?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Drivers Side Glass

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi,

Regarding the soft door tops, I was searching for them once a while back and during that time was advised that they are not a very good choice. They were available on the Austrian Pinzies. Just my 2 cents.

tx Dave
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

John,
If you're looking for the original sliding glass panes, I may be able to help you. I replaced some for a guy with Dave's tinted panes. But the originals seemed too good to landfill. I believe I still have them somewhere, and in Dave's good packing too. IF I can find them, and IF you want them, you can have 'em for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you're interested and I'll look for them.
Paul
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the glass. Let me know if you find it and the shipping cost.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

FYI,
I did make and have clear door glass replacements, as well as the tinted. It just a matter that there is not a considerable price difference.

I made them for the random broken piece and the owner didn't want to change to tinted.

What may be a factor with using used glass is that the soldiers that originally washed the trucks used the same rags/sponges for entire truck , scratching the glass...do not believe the old wives' tale that only diamonds scratch glass.... everything can scratch glass. :evil: But that could be moot, as the rest of the glass is probably scratched. :lol:

If Paul cannot find his glass, sent me a pm with your zipcode and I can send back a price on new.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Oops, sorry Dave. I didn't intend to cut into your business. Having installed a set of your windows, I'll vouch for them being much clearer than any old ones I've ever seen. Probably laminated safety glass too, I'll assume. :roll: If it's within your budget, you wouldn't be disappointed by Dave's windows.

At any rate John, I did find the old windows at my shop. My old bathroom scale shows around 35#, so I assumed 37. Without knowing the exact ZIP in Elizabethton, I guessed at 57644 and got a shipping quote of about $35 from FedEx. They always seem to be the cheapest option when shipping from here. If you only needed one pane I could just ship that, and it'd likely cost less. I'm pretty sure I could pack it so it would arrive intact. Let me know what you'd like me to do.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Paul
The front door glass set weighs in at 35 lbs boxed.
Pinz windshields are the only laminated item I sell. All the other glass is tempered, and is overall, much tougher than laminated. Also, it is not practical to drill holes in laminated for this type of application. I had done it years ago for another vehicle I had, but knew the precautions I needed to take as not to break it.

If John wants a full set of clear door glass, I'll sell them for $200 plus $45 Fedex.
The difference is these are base on US "inch" measurements vs the European metric (same as the tinted) ..1/4" (6.35mm) vs 6mm.
As being "clearer", I can only guess that is all my glass was manufactured by much newer techniques that don't distort the glass or show 'hot spots' from the tempering... there is much, much more to glass than just looking through it. :mrgreen:

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)