SAV Mirror Bracket install and operation

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
bbolander
United States of America

SAV Mirror Bracket install and operation

Post by bbolander »

I have new SAV mirror brackets to install. I've asked them for instructions on the install and operation. They said the plastic on the bottom is just a cover for a nut. Their instructions were unclear, first said there is a detent for the open position and to install them you put them at the detent and tighten the nut. Then they said to move them to the body you put the bracket where you want it next to the body and tap the bottom of the shaft to set the detent.

Anyone else install and use these SAV brackets? Any tips on installation, setting the detents for open and closed and how to move them from operation to the body for protection would be appreciated.

Disappointed that they aren't painted like the ones on their website.
2017-04-03 pinz SAV7202 mirror bracket pkg.jpg
2017-04-03 pinz SAV7202 mirror bracket pkg.jpg (173.63 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
rmel
United States of America

Re: SAV Mirror Bracket install and operation

Post by rmel »

The "detent" is a great feature of these mirrors esp. if you trek in weed-whacking territory.
I always flip them back to the front windshield when on the trial. You set where you want
the detent to be in the open position then just flip them back from there. The only grip I have
is that under extremely windy conditions they can flip to the side hitting your door window.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

so are these just like the original or a replacement version? The original bottom half is tapered and the nut retains this tapered part with the detents at your desired location. The top portion screws down on a spring that sets the tension on the detent cross pin making the swing of the mirror as stiff as you would need it for your application.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Since it's a SAV part number it's probably a replacement, not OEM, but intended to work the same way. My OEM's have a steel acorn nut on the bottom, the SAV's have a regular hex nut with a plastic or rubber "acorn" type cover over the nut.

I haven't tried taking one apart to see if it's tapered, and probably won't do that. I'll probably be installing them next week so I'll have a better idea of how it looks like they work. I really don't want to screw them up like my OEM's are by forcing them to turn, so I appreciate the input.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

OK, I did take the shaft out of the bracket that attaches to the body, and that shaft is tapered and it has threads at the end for the bottom nut.. The tapered shaft screws into the round upper portion that is above the bracket that attaches to the body. I can see a pin through that round upper part that looks like it's holding the long mirror rod into it.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

this is an original mirror part set. The shaft broke at the location of the detent pin. No way to say exactly how you want your mirrors set so you have to adjust them to your liking. The tapered part has the detent groove. The shaft has the pin and holding the pin into the groove is the spring. The spring is captured by the top bonnet which screws onto the tapered part. the tighter you screw down the top bonnet the more pressure is placed on the spring causing the mirror to swing harder. In this case a tree branch caught the shaft and bent the shaft in a direction opposite the pin which broke the shaft at its weak point (the hole for the pin) I put some grease in my mirrors brackets and drop small amounts of three in one oil into them a couple times a year, along with the door hinges, door hardware, heater control cables, gas pedal linkage, shifter linkage and wiper blade sleeves where they pass through the windshield frame.
Attachments
pinz mirror.jpeg
pinz mirror.jpeg (179.25 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Thanks 4x4Pinz, perfect explanation and the picture is worth 1,000 words in this case!

So now I see that there's only one detent. I can see now how others have fixed their mirrors by filing a new v-groove in the tapered part. I might see if I can do that with my OEM ones if nothing's broken inside.

So my setup should be find the sweet spot where I want the mirrors in the open position and I should be able to feel that the detent pin sits in the v-groove at that position.

After that, the spring tension will dictate how firm it stays in the closed position next to the body.

Am I on target?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

yep, sounds like you have it.

I have seen several with broken pins. I have found that cutting a short piece of a 16 penny nail works great. Soft enough metal that they don't break when flipping the mirrors.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Got the new SAV OEM replacement mirrors painted and installed. With the mirror's slight convex shape, they give an excellent view from top to bottom. I like them.
IMG_1784 copy.jpg
IMG_1784 copy.jpg (419.58 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
IMG_1785 copy.jpg
IMG_1785 copy.jpg (364.31 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
IMG_1788 copy.jpg
IMG_1788 copy.jpg (494.59 KiB) Viewed 3209 times