3D Printed Locker Control Light Covers

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
hackcampbell

3D Printed Locker Control Light Covers

Post by hackcampbell »

I wanted to share some parts I 3D printed for my truck.

When I bought my Pinz, 3 of the 4 locker control light covers had broken tabs, so they were just hanging on by tiny brittle pieces of plastic. After a little time investigating the lights, I made it 4 out of 4 broken covers.

I've seen replacement lights on SAV and EI, some new and some original (as far as I can tell), but they're all pretty expensive, especially considering that 3 out of 3 of the lights on my truck that are supposed to light up (710) do so. If I could buy a set of 4 covers for a reasonable price, I would.

I have access to some 3D printers, so I modeled up some new covers to see how difficult it would be to replicate them. I used a cheap digital set of calipers to take measurements, and made a model in Fusion 360. I didn't do anything fancy like add knurling to the underside, just a simple thin piece with two little tabs.

I have a lot of experience with FDM printers, and figured I'd spend a bunch of time trying to get the model dimensions and printer accuracy to jive, so I opted to go with SLA. A friend printed them for me in a transparent, high-strength, heat resistance resin that is UV cured for toughness post print.

They turned out pretty good. I didn't spend much time cleaning them up as they're just prototypes.

They're a little snug and difficult to work with, so I'll likely make some small changes, and print them again. The tabs could use a little upgrading, too. The material is flexible, so it was easy to get each cover on each individual light, but they were difficult to get to recess into the appropriate holes, especially the middle two. If I had my way, I'd try to match the green of the original covers as much as possible, but it isn't really worth it to buy special resin for something so small. I left the lights on for a couple minutes, and the covers didn't appear to get too hot, so I think we're covered on that front.

It was a pretty fun way to cheaply solve a (minor) problem! Though, I suppose if you consider the price of a Formlabs printer, it's not all that cheap. :shock:

If I dial the model in, I'll probably share it on here so others who have access to a printer can print them. I could probably also print some for people who need/want them too.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
pinzi
Belgium

Re: 3D Printed Locker Control Light Covers

Post by pinzi »

Nice...you could change the bulbs with green leds to get the original look :wink:
off-road until i die
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

And reduce heat (LEDs)
Amazing what can be done now with the 3D printers.
Thanks for sharing!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I did a Pinz with LED's. A bunch of the 24v green military LEDs would pop up for sale on ebay often. I assume something popular used them since so many would come up for sale. This was some years back. The only issue is they were too bright!

A technique that may make these work better, and something I've done before, is to lightly sandblast the back of the lens. It will evenly diffuse the light and make it look more professional.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!