My locks are corroded, no keys

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
markv

My locks are corroded, no keys

Post by markv »

Hi Everyone

I've got a five door 710K. I dont have keys to the door locks, and when I pulled the interior part of the latch/lock mechanism, I saw that the lock barrel/body looked totally corroded. So I dont have much hope for getting keys cut by a locksmith to work the lock.

Any hints please? Total replacement seems expensive, at least one source in the UK has indicated that new locks are not available.

Being stock is not important to me, if I could source something else to use as locks or lock barrels, at a reasonably economic price, that would be fantastic.

I'm really looking to avoid more 'creative' :evil: solutions, like putting hasps& staples and padlocks on each door.

Thanks
Mark
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: My locks are corroded, no keys

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Mark

I got my lock kit from Germany

http://shop.lorenz-offroad.de/pinzgauer ... hloss.html

Lorenz is also here on this forum
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
markv

Post by markv »

Thanks Albert. Price looking less scary than I thought it would be :D Well depending on the lock type, some lock barrels are definitely expensive.

Further question

Anyone got any higher security solutions / other solutions for door locking besides replacing locks please?

I don't trust the scroats around where I live / leave the vehicle.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

A buddy of mine picked up an giant, ancient, nibbler recently in a junkyard. It'd been sitting outside for years and was all corroded and the nibbler pin was frozen. He built a big electrolysis tank and soaked it overnight. The next morning it all came apart easily. Methinks that process might work well for your lock assemblies. At least it's worth a try. Probably won't even need to disassemble them.

As for your further security solution, I've had excellent success with dalmatians. (If you're not familiar with the breed, nothing turns mean faster than an inbred dalmatian - well, nothing besides Donald Trump.) Not only do I never have to lock my doors, I don't even pull out the key! :twisted:
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The door locks are a straight forward multi-tumbler design. You can easily remove them by removing the large retaining nut. Most of the mechanism is brass and should clean up pretty well with penetrating oil and a small tooth brush. Once cleaned, a good locksmith can finish the cleaning, check and lubricate the tumblers and cut keys. If you go this route be certain to keep track of which lock is which and the relative angle of the rear bar.

Sounds like you should remove the main electrical system switch key when parking. I found three keyed the same padlocks for spring clip holes to lock the battery box, the tool box and the jerry can holder. They have key hole covers to keep water and dirt out. When inserting the jerry can I keep the nozzle facing in when full to prevent tampering and fuel theft.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
markv

Post by markv »

Great, thanks undysworld and Clive

I'm still researching electrolysis for brass cleaning, the jury is out atm, depending on the solution used it may or may not be a bit harsh.

It seems, at least in the UK, that the way to go initially is to use a penetrating oil called Plus Gas
http://www.rapidtoolsdirect.co.uk/plusg ... ality.html

In the US there are other products which are prohibitively expensive here in the UK, eg Kroil, Mouse Milk....

My main reference to find a product has been this thread on freeing up trumpet valves, they are brass, so the work on brass compatible chemicals has already been done there. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/vie ... ?p=1087601

Mark
markv

Post by markv »

Hi Clive and undysworld,

My electrical key comes out when parked. I'm thinking of a few other things, eg two fuel line taps, find one but ha ha there's still another. GPS tracking too.

I used to have a ridgeback, also good on the deterrent front, but my circumstances don't allow for another dog at the moment.
Basically, and sadly, I dont have the time and space to properly look after a dog these days,and they do deserve being looked after properly.