710K antenna mount caps?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

710K antenna mount caps?

Post by ChickenPinz »

Anyone found a good solution to cap off the 710K antenna mounts? I've covered mine with tape until I can find/make a plate. It's 140mm diameter, with four 10mm holes 115mm center-to-center across (72.5mm from disc center). Ideally, it'd be a black ABS disc or metal.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (770.67 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710K antenna mount caps?

Post by rmel »

The caps are getting hard to find. Why not plug that up with what was intended to go there.
The mount is actually SAE 4.5" BHC, long story short the Swiss/European radio were not
ready for deployment in the early 70's. They went with U.S. Radios. The Packaging of what
goes where and how many was their choice -- but it's mostly U.S. including the Antennas
and Mounts. The MX-6707/VRC was what these rigs used. I've seen them on eBay, you can
tweak this particular base and associated whip to 11M e.g. CB. Not good for HAM VHF/UHF.

Point is, look out for any U.S. Mil Antenna Base with 6.5" BHC and it will fit perfect.

There's a thread on the forum for more choices if interested.
Last edited by rmel on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

rmel wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm The caps are getting hard to find. Why not plug that up with what was intended to go there.
The mount is actually SAE 6.5" BHC, long story short the Swiss/European radio were not
ready for deployment in the early 70's. They went with U.S. Radios. The Packaging of what
goes where and how many was their choice -- but it's mostly U.S. including the Antennas
and Mounts. The MX-6707/VRC was what these rigs used. I've seen them on eBay, you can
tweak this particular base and associated whip to 11M e.g. CB. Not good for HAM VHF/UHF.

Point is, look out for any U.S. Mil Antenna Base with 6.5" BHC and it will fit perfect.

There's a thread on the forum for more choices if interested.
Thanks -- great information!

For now, I'll just fabricate some caps for the mounts (secured with 4plc M10-1.5, 10mm tapped holes) until I can decide if there's more than aesthetic value to the antennas themselves since they are the tallest feature on the truck (read:height constraint). My interest would be ham (W3LX), and mostly 2m operation. Not sure if they'd do any better than a center spike NMO mount in the roof plate, though. That's what I run on the FJ and it does pretty well with the roof ground plane.

Oh, and I have the full antenna setup -- it's just that I pulled them to lower the height and want to cap the holes.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yup, for 2M/70cm your better off with NMO. Can screw in a 5/8 wave
Comet or a short base loaded rubber ducky. There is enough room on
the cap for one NMO and a high gain GPS puck e.g. GlobalSat.

The next gen Mil bases (AS-3900) and beyond are broadband and far from
a flat SWR, intended for freq hopping/spread spectrum, great for that not
good for mono-freq applications. I do have several Mil bases, feedthrough
for HF. With a proper whip and tuner that works great.

cheers.

whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Though a bit pricey, it appears SAV has the covers in stock. 31-35-03
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Indeed. $39.50 each is a bit much for a round disc with four holes. https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... base-swiss
I'll likely just fabricate some either out of ABS or aluminum. If others need them, please PM me and I can see about getting extras made.

On the 2m/70cm antenna, I think NMO on the roof center will be better than the inclined side-mounts -- so far don't see much future value for the angled ears unless I track down some of the original radios. The Comet B10NMO https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Original-B ... B00HUCVWRQ works quite well center-mounted on the FJ.

Re-RF-ification of the 710K is definitely a planned future project -- likely will include support for my Yaesu FT-897. This is getting off-topic, but my current thinking is to add a third battery for 12V devices with a charging circuit from the 24V main supply. That gives me a radio-quiet power source, and isolation from engine starting reserves.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

If you go with an AUX battery IMHO use LiFePO4 you will be much much happier.
They stay flat out to 12.6V then go over a cliff. Whereas Lead-acid drops well
below that early on in the discharge cycle. You key up on a 100W rig you know
what happens :(( Now your thinking, hmmm, I need a DC Booster :>>

P.S. I corrected a typo on my initial response. The Mil Antenna bases
are 4.5" BHC.

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

ChickenPinz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:47 am
I'll likely just fabricate some either out of ABS or aluminum. If others need them, please PM me and I can see about getting extras made.
If you plan to fabricate out of plastic it is best to use Marine-Grade Moisture-Resistant Polyethylene (HDPE). "Also known as starboard, these sheets won’t degrade when exposed to salt water, humidity, and UV light. They’re more rigid than standard HDPE sheets, and have a coarse texture that masks scuffs and scratches."
Available from a variety of online sources. A 1/4" thick 12x12 sheet is about $10.00.
Use an appropriate sized hole saw or a sabre saw to cut a circle and then just drill the four holes.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Has anyone come up with a solution to flush-capping the 710K top antenna mount? I put the standard cap on mine but thinking about a rack project, I would like to flush cap mine and I think there is zero need to put the antenna back on. The Marine-Grade Moisture-Resistant Polyethylene (HDPE) looks good for the fab-required option.

antenna.JPG
antenna.JPG (13.08 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
aekwi
Germany

Post by aekwi »

Hi,

just saw that thread.
For my old 710K I designed a simple file to print the cover for the antenna side mounts.
I uploaded it on thingiverse. You can also print it in black, green or any color available. I would recommend PETG as material since it's immune to UV light and moisture.

Greetings from Munich
Simon
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

Good Morning
I am not looking for cap but instead I am looking for a pair of antenna mounts with the whip antenna to put on my 712
thanks
Bill
in N.E Fla