Hatch rattle fix?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Hatch rattle fix?

Post by ChickenPinz »

My roof hatch has developed a rattle at the hinge at speeds over 50MPH. I've confirmed this is the rattle site, and it largely seems to be due to some play in the hinge pin. It goes away with some upward pressure from inside and the noise can be replicated when stopped.

I can imagine several possible solutions, but I'm wondering: Has anyone else faced and fixed this issue, and want to share their fix?

Better to build on the success of others when possible.
whitesik
United States of America

Re: Hatch rattle fix?

Post by whitesik »

I had a similar rattle but found it was due to an old stretched out rubber strap. The new one was about 2 inches shorter and after install, fixed the rattle.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Mine has a nice new strap, and the rattle's confirmed in the hinge area. I see springs in my future....

Thanks.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

ChickenPinz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm My roof hatch has developed a rattle at the hinge at speeds over 50MPH. I've confirmed this is the rattle site, and it largely seems to be due to some play in the hinge pin. It goes away with some upward pressure from inside and the noise can be replicated when stopped.

I can imagine several possible solutions, but I'm wondering: Has anyone else faced and fixed this issue, and want to share their fix?

I've done the following which has addressed both the small bit of play in the hinge as well as some air entry (whistling) at highway speeds:
  1. Replaced the rubber retaining strap with a velcro strap that allows for tightening to your determination
  2. Added weather strip on the inside of the hatch that meets the lip of the port in the roof and take's up any gap that may be allowed by the play in the hinge
  3. Added pinch weld bulb weather seal to the outter lip of the hatch to prevent lift forces at highway speeds
There has been zero rattling, whistling, etc. since I've made these modifications.

Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

The weatherstripping idea is a good one as the normal seal is a pretty high durometer.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

ChickenPinz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm My roof hatch has developed a rattle at the hinge at speeds over 50MPH. I've confirmed this is the rattle site, and it largely seems to be due to some play in the hinge pin. It goes away with some upward pressure from inside and the noise can be replicated when stopped.

Upon further inspection, the hinge pin is adjustable to set the vertical position. Loosen two 13mm head bolts, press down, tighten, fixed.