is it safe to weld on truck body

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
rdusek
United States of America

is it safe to weld on truck body

Post by rdusek »

I have heard concerns that welding directly onto the truck body may cause issues with the voltage regulator and maybe batteries because of the body being "ground." I need to have some body work done and need to know if it is ok for them to weld on one of the panels without causing any problems with my electrical system, or what they need to do beforehand to prevent any. thanks in advance.
rmel
United States of America

Re: is it safe to weld on truck body

Post by rmel »

There is *some* reason for a degree of concern. MIG, TIG, Stick are dumping a lot of
current into the weld area which gives rise to a local voltage drop, which if close to
some sensitive electronics e.g. ECU, could do some damage.

If you are TIG gas shielded, your running DCEP -- Work Piece clamp set as negative.
So to be on the safe side, make sure the battery switch is open, disconnect the regulator,
and any electronics you may have e.g. Radios, then earth ground the chassis of the vehicle.
Even W/O these precautions the risks are pretty low, but belts and suspenders is always a
good practice.

Then there's brazing -- for panel work, no risk there unless your playing near the Gas tank.
IMHO I think for larger areas of work it's cleaner, less distortion, and easier to grind true.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q