Bumper mount water ingress solution?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Bumper mount water ingress solution?

Post by ChickenPinz »

What's the best fix folks have found for water ingress at the bumper mounts during rain?
PXL_20211213_203614014.MP (Large).jpg
PXL_20211213_203614014.MP (Large).jpg (329.57 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Bumper mount water ingress solution?

Post by pcolette »

I've had 5 710M's and have never experienced this. I've removed bumpers on 4 of them and either replaced with custom or stock bumpers after painting, etc. Maybe I've just been lucky ?

My first thought would be to tighten the bolt further to snug up the rubber bushing or replace if they are hard. I'd also try coating the entire bushing with heavy grease while disassembled to help seal it.

A fellow Pinz owner friend had a rust hole through the floor on the passenger side below that mount. Turned out the water ingress was not from rain but from overly deep stream crossings and a loose bushing.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Thanks, pcolette. A facebooker suggested this is a common problem and due to a design flaw in how the lower pan meets up in the front. But to me, it seems like the rubber bushing should seal things up tight.

I figured I'd collect the wisdom of the group before taking it apart.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, I saw that same fb post and that was the first I had heard of that problem. But, I'm always learning so it is a possibility worth exploring if attention to the bushings doesn't solve the problem.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE