Loose ignition key

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
MTPinz
United States of America

Loose ignition key

Post by MTPinz »

I'm curious if I'm the only one with this issue.

When I am on rocky trails/logging roads and hit a large bump, it seems my key tends to jump ship landing on the floor somewhere. Usually I can find it right away but I can see this being an issue if I need to shut the engine off quickly and it finds it's way under the floor tread out of reach.

What causes this? The aftermarket key? A loose tumbler?
Maybe I just need to tether it to the dash. It's not like anyone around my parts will know how to drive a Pinz anyhow, ha!
Daly944
United States of America

Re: Loose ignition key

Post by Daly944 »

Same issue for me with factory key. The aftermarket key expedition imports sells seems to stay for me though maybe it's just a bit thicker and holds in place.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

There is no tumbler in the pinz ignition switch. All the detent does is retain the key. A couple of scenarios, one you are not installing the key in all the way. The switch is worn out. The key is worn out. Some folks have way too many keys or items on the key chain for the detent to hold.
AdamKareem87
United States of America

Post by AdamKareem87 »

Same issue key flies out. If anyone has the 2 position Swiss key ignition switch that holds the key well please PM me. :-)

Thanks,
Adam
1973 Pinzgauer 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Would love to see how far you are installing the key in the switch. So many owners don't push them on fast enough.