Doghouse Renovation

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
John L
United States of America

Doghouse Renovation

Post by John L »

I am in the process of re-painting the interior cab of my 710M. I am also adding some noise reduction materials to it as Vince wrote about in this section. I was preparing to put some anti-vibration material on the doghouse and realized it has a coating of some foam like material on the underside of it. Has anyone "re-done" their doghouse? I am thinking about removing the material that is there and replacing it with a a vibration damper and noise block material. The two new materials would be less thick than the existing material. BUT seeing how hard they are to come by I did not want to do anything to ruin my existing doghouse. Has anyone ventured down this road at all and have any advice?

How hard is it to remove the original insulation material? Does it weaken or harm the structure of the doghouse by doing so? What about having an upholsterer cover the existing doghouse instead of or in addition to the above?

Thanks for your input. She's 47 and I don't want to mess something up under the guise of upgrading it.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Doghouse Renovation

Post by rmel »

What would concern me is the relative surface bonding strength of the
Dog House material -- being rather porous -- to either Mass loaded Vinyl,
or Vibration damper.

One material using an "apply on" adhesive, the other a contact adhesive.
With the contact adhesive probably being the worst bonding but to a relatively
lite material, but the apply on adhesive e.g. to a MLV material, is heavy and
possibly giving out over time with weight and temp.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Anything you are thinking about adding to the underside of the doghouse would need to almost be mechanically attached, not sure a glue would even hold up over time. The contact adhesive on those mass loaded vinyl products won't cut it at all, just trust me on that one... :shock:
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Thanks for the input. I will trust you guys on that point. I guess another solution would be to do something up top and have it upholstered. I may check on that route. I am confident that in addition to the metal rattling, there is a ton of engine noise coming up from under the dog house. As things stood before I started this project, it was hard to have a conversation with a passenger while I was driving. I will experiment a bit on noise reduction and report my results.