door locks?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
I-10pinz

door locks?

Post by I-10pinz »

I know this may have been talked about before, but where have yall been getting door locks for the pinz saw one today in austin that had them on it and it seemed like a really good idea. thanks

thomas
Rule 308

Post by Rule 308 »

Been looking at them myself and it seems that CWR and SAV carry them. I seem to recall finding them somewhere else but I can't find them right now.

CWR, $200.00 for a 3 cyl. kit
SAV, $114.00 2 cyl, and $162.00 3 cyl, and $244.00 for all 5 cyls.

Mark
Rule .308
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I reccomend SAV over CWR.
I-10pinz

Post by I-10pinz »

Thanks had seen the ones from SAV but not from CWR is the install fairly simple?
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Install depends on your luck. Some have been straight forward. Front doors are usually the easiest. Remove door panel, pop out the rubber seal. Install, BE CAREFUL to right side parts on right side etc, some supplied directions are better than others. Reinstate the door.

The rear however, note how every thing came apart. (There once was a discussion about leavaing a part that sticks through the body under where the door's latch part sticks into the body.) As you disassemble note the little location of the spring and little piece that protrudes through the body under the door latch hole and the orientation of the pin. Next I usually ream out the tube the deadbolt or stricker pin slides through with the next size larger drill bit to ensure the pins slides freely. With luck the pin will slide through the body into the door. Usually when it doesn't there is alining the door, As a last resort there is a liberal application of a small grinder bit in the mating door opening. Put some grease or something on the end of the pin and push into the door to mark where you have interference

Hope that helps.
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Excellent reference 2012, I need to open up my drivers side door and see why my lock sometimes does not engage?
Just get in and go....

pinz door locks design

Post by 2012 »

im planning on modeling everything in the door (solidworks) and designing some kind of nice door lock system. i'm not sure the stock locks are all that secure. i'm thinking about mes power locks in-the-soup, as well. also, a company in england called wolf elec sells 24v power dead bolts.

any nfo from anywhere re all this would be great to have.

my pinz will be a 712 ambulance with a pop-top (still wondering where i can just buy that pop-top...) with an aluminum roof over the cab, at the height of the rear box.

my projects seem to insist on getting bigger with no regard for the rest of my life!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am not sure where you are going with this, but the lock kit for the Pinz is a lever that blocks the latch from retracting, and the external cylinder has no "lost motion" cam. All this means that once the cylinder has blocked the latch from retracting (by pivoting the lever), the only way to unlock the door is by key, there is no way for an internal lock/unlock actuator ( that's why there is a lost motion on car locks).... if you lock the door while open, you cannot close it because of the lever prevents the latch from retracting over the strike.
As far as power locks, if you mean powered as in the traditional sense of locking/unlocking the latch assembly, it also needs the lost motion that this lock does not have. If you are refering to electric locks as used in show cars,replacing the existing latch assembly, I don't know anything about them, but if they don't have a mechanical override to get in or out, I'd stay away from them.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

Post by 2012 »

well that explains what i'm seeing in the pix. thx!! yeah, it looks like i've got a real task here. i need to create a lock that works like a regular modern door lock (with mechanical override) out of these parts plus whatever else i can come up with. i just ordered the pinz door locks and i wont be able to really see it all for more than a week from now.

no no, i'm talking about regular power door lock actuators, not those show car handless things. i can see blocking that same latch with a linkage. then again... i really need to see it all.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I was looking at the same thing 4 years ago, and determine that the Steyr lock mechanism wasn't adaptable for conventional use, and have never had time to pursue designing one, and The Pick Cow already has it. :D ...... and those keeping a list of TD improvements, add real door locks too. :wink:

Dave Dunn

Post by 2012 »

wait! what is "The Pick Cow"? there are already options available?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Newbie......Meet The Pink Cow :)

A name with a story

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

This is Daves "PINK COW":Image
He even got er a "tattoo" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."

Post by 2012 »

waitaminute! that's a 716! is that dmv legal?! or... is that not in the us?

and that pink one - ok, i think that looks a little like ... photoshop. is that real paint?