Door rattle cure

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
pinzinator

Door rattle cure

Post by pinzinator »

Are you tired of that annoying front door rattle? Here's a $2 cure. Get a piece of Velcro tape (fuzzy side) and place it in the striker plate where the latch makes contact. Instant cure, and it might even last a year or two before you have to cough up another $2. There is no adjustment for the latch, so this was about all I could come up with.
The size you need to cut the tape to is about 3/8" X 1 1/4". An inch will work if you center it.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The reason you door rattles is that your door weather striping needs replaced. The weather stripping puts a little pressure on the door when it is closed.Image I'd be a little worried about using velcro on the strike plate it may allow the strike to slide up the velcro. Image
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Another thing to check since this happenned to me.

The screws of the door latch got loose and due to the vibration and rattle, caused the metal holding the nuts to crack.

I had to replace the whole door (thank Dennis Williams) just because of that.

Try to tight the screws as much as you can, if they are shot then you are either missing the nuts or have cracks on your doors.

I'll see if I can find pictures.

Also there was a gentleman that had a gap between his door and the body of his Pinz, and he fixed it by ingenuosly using the holes where the windshield frame fits and the holes where the reat seats hinges are screwed.

You should not need Velcro at all.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The weatherstripping on my doors is in excellent condition, plus I treat it twice a year with WD-40. It's just one of those clearance issues that the weatherstrip can't compensate for, we're talking a millimeter or two.

Here's where I put the Velcro, the white stuff. The material acts as a buffer between the latch and the striker plate, the place where metal-to-metal contact is made. That is where the rattle occurs if the weathership can't hold the latch tight.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I found some small screws with rubber bumpers that fit into the holes in the door jamb corners (where the light switches mount in K models) and with a few washers, they add a pressure that keeps the doors tight.