Looking for vinyl material to recover 712 rear seats

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
texas pinzgauer

Looking for vinyl material to recover 712 rear seats

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I'm looking for a replacement material to re-cover the rear seats in my new truck. The previous owner had some very nice ones made but the fabric is going to be a problem for me based on how this truck will be used.

Has anyone come across a reasonably priced material with which I can recover these seats? (Alternatively, I'd be willing to swap mine for yours if that's of interest. PM me)
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
andy

Post by andy »

Buy Mile's rear 712 top and use it for seat covers? :lol:
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

These guys sell surplus vinyl rolls. Located here in Wichita. Some of which looks close to the stock seat material.

http://www.yardstore.com/search.htm
texas pinzgauer

I happened upon an outfit in Minnesota that sells snowmobile seat material by the yard. Now if I can guess how many yards I need, I can try to take on this project.

Any reason to believe that this isn't a good project for a do it yourselfer or should it be left to a professional upholstery guy?
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

You can always try one on your own, and if it doesn't turn out, find the upholstery guy. Houston has to have two or three. Pidgin English and hand signals will probably work to explain what you need. :lol:
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
texas pinzgauer

upholstery

Good point Andy and....by the time i get to piece #12, I can go pro!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

texas pinzgauer

upholstery

Good point Andy and....by the time i get to piece #12, I can go pro!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I recovered all of mine with a fabric called sunbrella. This a favorite material used in the boating industry. If I am not mistaken I ordered it from a company in Florida. My wife recovered them. She is pretty talented. They look great. Sunbrella does come in different colors. I used black.

Bob
texas pinzgauer

Talented like...at sewing?

Seriously, I was thinking that I'd use a big ass stapler to finish off this work but if this is a "sewing" project, I might just pass on taking it on myself.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

critter wrote:I recovered all of mine with a fabric called sunbrella. This a favorite material used in the boating industry. If I am not mistaken I ordered it from a company in Florida. My wife recovered them. She is pretty talented. They look great. Sunbrella does come in different colors. I used black.

Bob
Isn't Sunbrella breathable? Do you not worry with sustained water exposure?

It works well with boat tops where the water can run off, but it will mildew like all get out if water is trapped in a fold or seam. (my experience with Sunbrella boat tops)

I'm looking for material very similar to the original. Even cordura does not appear to be as tough.

Have fun,

Alan
krick3tt

looking for vinyl

Post by krick3tt »

I had a boat top guy in San Diego make a great looking top for my Mog out of black Sunbrela. It leaked. I used a scrap piece to make a cover for my winch and it holds water. Very confusing stuff. I think if it is stretched perhaps it will not hold the water, as in the top condition.
I have seen vinyl at fabric stores and it is not expensive stuff and comes in a rainbow of colors. One of those colors is going to match the mood you are in when you make your seat covers.
krick3tt

looking for vinyl

Post by krick3tt »

I had a boat top guy in San Diego make a great looking top for my Mog out of black Sunbrela. It leaked. I used a scrap piece to make a cover for my winch and it holds water. Very confusing stuff. I think if it is stretched perhaps it will not hold the water, as in the top condition.
I have seen vinyl at fabric stores and it is not expensive stuff and comes in a rainbow of colors. One of those colors is going to match the mood you are in when you make your seat covers.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Upgrading the rear seats is something I will have to do at some point, and I had googled for Cordura fabric.
I am not entirely sure it is suitable for our Pinzes' seats... but I know it is very resistant and abrasion-resistant on luggage (the heavier kinds anyway), as well as being water-resistant (it is used for snow gaiters, for example).

Not the cheapest of fabrics, but www.seattlefabrics.com has a full choice, by the yard, on your side of the big pond...

Just my 2 cents...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Why David? I think your seats are nice.... but hey, it is your taste. If you want to go back to the original vinyl green seats then we can swap ours, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I think the finishing is awesome, may be too bright but they are very well made IMHO. If I were you I would leave them like that.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
ARVOps

Post by ARVOps »

I ordered from these guys: http://www.ahh.biz/products/General%20P ... FGM018.htm
Great customer service, speedy delivery, Quality product.

The vinyl is being used to cover the gap between my cab hard top and the stock rear soft top on the Ugly Duck.
It would also make very durable and water proof seat covers.
You can pull off recovering the seats with out sewing. But they do come out better with sewing the cover to the right shape. It could be done by hand with a sail makers needles and heavy thread.
sold 712AMB/M 2.7L Goatwerks Power! UglyDuck living the life in Alaska :(
I am pinzless.
I'm at Poway Jeep If you all need a hook up on a Cummins, Hemi, Or a Jeep. PM me.