Gas tank removal

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
blackstack
United States of America

Gas tank removal

Post by blackstack »

My tank leaks when completely topped up ...I suspect a gasket leak where the filler tube penetrates the tank.

If I drop the tank to inspect and search for the problem am I opening up a rats nest ? Is it just the four bolts on the fore and after brackets that hold the tank?

So long as the tank isnt chock a block full there is not a (apparent) problem. I hate it when I take something apart and create five more problems bigger than the one I am trying to solve.

So.my question is: Is dropping the fuel tank a simple and straight forward job?
Erik712m

Re: Gas tank removal

Post by Erik712m »

blackstack wrote:
So.my question is: Is dropping the fuel tank a simple and straight forward job?

Yes relatively easy. Remember to remove the hose around the filler pipe.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

blackstack
You didn't mention if it was a Swissey or an Austrian spec truck!

The tank on both specs are easy to drop--use a floor jack and a block of wood to aid the job. On both units there is a top vent rubber tube that allows gases to vent to the filler neck. Open the passenger's door and you can see it connected to the filler elbow. This you must dis-connect and allow it to slide through the floor grommet.
On a Swissey the 4" filler tube rubber connector is a double sleeve job, having a convoluted outer hose--obviously visible and an straight inner hose that has some Euro spec hose clamps sealing up the connection These all have to be loosened off and TREATED carefully because they are difficult to obtain/replace. The std hardware store hose clamp won't work due to the limited space involved so you will have a sealing problem if you bodge it.
With it loose you can drop the tank making sure the fuel line suction hose is disconnected--Sometimes hose clamped, & easily seen from inside the engine compartment below the the air cleaner. The fuel guage wiring can be disconnected by removing the square cover plate inside the cargo area.
Once on the floor replace the vent tube arr" and look to se if the pick up and fuel flanges are leaking at the gaskets--Replace/repair as necessary.
When offering the unit back up make sure you "start" the filler hose onto the necks and jack the tank up into place manipulating the hose to avoid it getting torn or crushed. When about halfway up into place run a length of string through the fuel gauge aperture and attach it to the gauge wire. This will allow you to feed the wire up into the limited access space under the body without cussing! :wink:
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks Dennis !!

I have the swiss option...corrugated out fill tube.

Really appreciate your heads up re possible glitches.

Only question I have is "what is an arr?" as in "Once on the floor replace the vent tube arr" "

Thanks again,
Bob
lindenengineering

Bob
Sorry motor vehicle nomenclature--"arr'" = arrangement :lol:
"Once you have the tank on the floor"--Seen sitting on the jack/workshop floor, observe the vent tube running along the top of the tank. It is often seen rotted out or fractured, hence the leakage.
Hope that is clearer
Cheers Dennis
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Ahhh I thought it was a linguistic variation or mechanics dialect of the classic pirates AAARGH!!!! when confronted by a non-grasper of the situation!!! :oops:

Seriously though the leak was due to a completely dried out cork gasket for the fuel gauge sender....could have made a much quicker repair if i had opened it up when I was pulling the wire.

But alls well etc etc and everything has been returned to the proper ARR

Thanks again!!

Bob
lindenengineering

Bob
Glad to see you got it sorted.
You left off the OH--part of the Arrg. Coming from the West of England its a common expression even today! Oh ARRG! :lol:
I have just seen you are up there in the Maritime NW, nice area of the USA next to Vancouver.
Cheers Dennis