Leaking lower window guides on Swiss 710K

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
kpoling
United States of America

Leaking lower window guides on Swiss 710K

Post by kpoling »

Well, since I cannot yet store the truck inside, and I live in Oregon, I am busy chasing water leaks while performing a full maintenance service on the truck. We just had a short gully washer & I sat in the truck to watch for leaks. All four of my side door window guides are leaking. The parts manual that came with my truck is for an Austrian truck. It shows a locking rail with a drain hole that clamps the window guide. The other rails shown say "not for this model".

Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

Kevin
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Pull the guides and seal the mounting surface and the upper corners of the mounting rail. I used Polyurethane caulk worked for me.
krick3tt

leaking window guides

Post by krick3tt »

I have a 710M, when I lived in WA (Suquamish) I bought the taller window guides with drain tube from SAV. (Absolutely no reflection on the good name of SAV, it is a pinz part after all) but, the window guides with the drain tube are not that great. I thought it was going to be a fix.
Still have water running down the door and it is still wet inside. They are pricey and it would be much less spendie to have tubes brazed to your existing window rails to just get out excess water. I used rubber elbows to take the water out the bottom of the top of the door rather than down through the door as it is much easier to remove the top of the door for summer use.
It does work while driving but, the tube is toward the front of the window and when the pinz sits in my sloped drive the water runs to the back, not the front and therefore to the inside.
I have learned to live with the wet. All that time in WA was not wasted.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3438.jpg
http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3433.jpg

Cheers
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Erik: That was my first thought. But then the water will just sit in the trough under the guides. I am worried this will hurry the corrosion there.

Krick: I saw those guide holders in my Austrian parts book. Were they taller than the non drain type?

I will take one apart this weekend to see if I can braze in a tube.
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I went through the same problem on my 710 1972 Swiss Pinz. I pulled all the guides out sealed them and caulked the ends, removed the tops of the doors put drain tubes in so that they exited by the door seals at the bottom of the door but it still leaked.

Last trick which has 97% done the job was I cut a small section of the door out about 3 inches in from the front of the door and half an inch wide. Right by the window glass, bent it down at a 90 degree angle and trimed the metal off so that it protrudes just a little out of the top of the frame. Then I cut a small section of the guide channel rubber out and sealed the area.
Now when Im driving and going through water most of it just drains down to the front of the window guide and runs down the outside of the door.
krick3tt

window drains

Post by krick3tt »

Kpoling,

Yes they are taller by about 3/8 inch, same bolt pattern and the bolts can be reused to attach them to the frame. Same position of the locking lever.
Difference seems to be the drain hole that must be cut in the bottom of the rubber glass guide strip.
I don't think taller is the answer as much as getting the water out of the guide strip and outside the vehicle.

Morris