Swiss License Plates

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
kpoling
United States of America

Swiss License Plates

Post by kpoling »

I am trying to get some of the original Swiss License plates. I found this site:
http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/pinz-archi ... lates.html

Found better pix of same on Yahoo forum site.

It shows what they look like, but no dimensions if one wants to "recreate" some plates. Did anyone get their Pinz with Swiss plates still with the truck? Anyone know if there is a source for them?

Thanks, Kevin
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have this, does anyone know what it means? It came with my Pinzgauer.

McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

If my german is still good enough, and you can interpret google translate- I think your plate is a temporary plate that identifies the company using the truck for a while. Here's the translation and the link to the original-

As a militia army has no military forces and organizations down to the assigned vehicles. The vehicles are from case to case, normalerweise of the Army motor-parks, assigned to the troops for the duration of the service / price. But that is still recognizable, which uses force or unit at the moment, the vehicle will be special truppenkennzeichnungs panels mounted front and rear of the military vehicle, which must first be re-labeled and over again. For military courses is the top left of the letters for a large Association (Division / Brigade), the letters above right) for a subordinate organization (regiment / division. Below left is the letter for the subordinate battalion (unity) and the number the lower right denotes a company, a battery or a train. The troops identification panel for the troops in military schools is essentially the same, only the single digits / letters sometimes have a different meaning ..

the link has a similar plate-
http://www.morger.net/Autoschilder.htm
Q

Post by Q »

front:
http://www.licenseplates.tv/prod/switze ... _5625.html

rear:
http://www.licenseplates.tv/switzerland ... _5626.html

i think the number you would use is written in the maintenance log book if you have it.

don't know how accurate these are to the original in size.
also, the red swiss emblem is cut from plastic and glued on.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Every time a Swiss Army unit is assembled for a training period (2-3 weeks every year, a few months for "recruit school" i.e. initial boot camp), the soldiers/drivers assigned with a vehicle go collect it in one of the vehicle depots. One of their first task upon collection of their ride for the next weeks is to apply the marks of their unit on these little aluminium plates, with dark gray washable paint (it is erased with gasoline once the vehicles are returned to the depot at the end of the 2 or 3 weeks).

The description of the different letters as translated in Mc Call Pinz's post is accurate as far as I remember. My unit always had the same letters year after year so I guess there is a list somewhere of which code goes with which unit. I assume the list is classified... :roll:

In Pinzinator's picture, the age of the "D" stencil and the absence of the number identifying the company (lower right) would make me think that it comes from a vehicle which was, at least at the end of its operational life, used on a specific location (air base, vehicle depot, place for manoeuvres) by the onsite personel (instructors or maintenance, for example), instead of being linked to a unit on a temporary basis...

Q, the plate that you mention as "front" is an alternate version of the rear licence plate. I cannot remember if it was ever used by the Swiss military in these dimensions (civilian plates are available in the two kinds, in order to accomodate for different cars).
The original front plates do not have the Swiss shield (as per the document linked on kpoling's post). However, the dimensions would be very close to (52 x 11 cm vs the correct dimensions of 50 x 11 cm) the front plate of a pre-1973 Pinzgauer. Since 1973, the front plates are much smaller (30 x 8 cm) in military and civilian vehicles alike.
For the "rear" plate in your link, it looks like the dimensions are not exactly accurate (16 x 27 cm vs correct dimensions of 16 x 30 cm)

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

McCall/Q/Jan, Thank you for the info & links. I guess some research is in order. I may be able to get a sign company to reproduce the plates if I provide the aluminum cut to size. They can take a picture & convert in their software to replicate the graphics.

Regards, Kevin
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Kevin,

SAV has them for USD 25.-- a piece (part no. SAV6971). Might be more convenient than having them made to order.

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Hi Jan, On the drawing for group 31-40, I am looking for the license plates, shown as part #9 on the drawing.

The link that Q posted earlier looks like it matches the plates.

Kevin
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Kevin,

Sorry, my bad, I answered too quickly and mixed up your post and Pinzinator's picture... :oops:

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
firemat

Re: Swiss License Plates

Post by firemat »

Hi Kevin,

Swiss license plates are not available because they are personal and stay with the driver, not the vehicle. Over here you have the possibility to have several vehicles registered with one set of plates. Its all quite clever, you can't get plates without insurance, and you can't cancel your insurance without returning the plates.......

Cheers, Dave
Located in Geneva, Switzerland, 1979 710M Pinz

'Never underestimate a man who overestimates his own capabilities'