Structure of 712 AMB-S Shelter

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

still no shipping quote.... ffs

Another daft question?? I was looking at a box photo closeup last night and appears to be a seal between the box and the tray.

- is there a seal, stock?

- or what do people use?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

There is a rubber strip between the outside edge of the box and bed; I think the bolts go through it. The rubber is about 2" wide and 3/8" thick (from memory). The bolts that go from the bottom of the bed up into the box have springs between the head and the box to allow some compliance if things flex a little; I expect that the rubber keeps things from rubbing too much on the top of the bed.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Jimm391730 wrote: The bolts that go from the bottom of the bed up into the box have springs between the head and the box to allow some compliance if things flex a little; Jim M.
712W and 710M
damn more bits to put on the shopping list, flexi bolts. Hopefully the bolts are still with the box.

Off to work... maybe I have a shipping quote.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Finally got a shipper to give a response :roll:

Anyone know how much a 712 box weighs?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
randwolfe

Post by randwolfe »

So is your shelter an ambulance, or a workshop? It is interesting that you have a roof rack...is it from the military, or was it added once the unit entered civil use?

Just curious. Thanks
Randy Shelaga
1982 712 AMB-S (almost)

Don't Steyr, it's a Pinzgauer!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Andre Swanson's Exoskeleton on 712W

Post by Jimm391730 »

Here is a pic of my W with Andre's exoskeleton:

Since it is a W (workshop variant; it was a radio command truck in Swiss service) it has the raised box roof that allows most to stand (at least if you are 6'1" or less). Andre did a wonderful job on the exo skeleton; heavy wall tube rub rails that tie into his winch bumper, ladders rising from the rub rails, the cab rack, and the box "hat" to protect from branches and gives great locations for mounting lights. It is powder coated a flat black, and I added grip tape on the rungs and handholds for safety. I had Andre add tabs for marker lights all around. Surprisingly I expected that climbing in and out over the rubrail under the doors to be more difficult, but I'm finding ingress/egress actually easier now.

I described this truck as a W variant since all ambulances and workshop boxes that I have seen all have a side door for the spare tire; this unit has interior cabinets and a power distribution box in that location, so they (the Swiss or the factory, who knows) created a hard cab roof and they mounted the spare up there. So the cab rack ties into the spare mounting points as well as the rubrails.

I have two solar panels on the top of the roof (and the top rack helps to protect them) that each charges 12V "house" batteries in the box that powers lights, the Eberspacher, and the Engel fridge. Seperate charge circuits keep the batteries continually equalized. Still need to mount and wire floodlights and backup camera, but you can see the amber beacon, the 2M antenna, and the GPS antenna. Now that the exterior is almost done (new paint would be nice) I really have to finish the interior.

Jim M.
712W and 710M (now both with Andre's racks)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

randwolfe wrote:So is your shelter an ambulance, or a workshop? It is interesting that you have a roof rack...is it from the military, or was it added once the unit entered civil use?

Just curious. Thanks
My one is a workshop body...... I'd post a piccy here but never worked out how to do that in here. Yep the roofrack is military
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Re: Andre Swanson's Exoskeleton on 712W

Post by fesm_ndt »

Jimm391730 wrote:Here is a pic of my W with Andre's exoskeleton:

Jim M.
712W and 710M (now both with Andre's racks)
I may have to sweet talk Andre in some photos of his ideas as I don't think shipping it is an option.

Either that or a weekend trip to Malaysia, a few boxes of beer and a stack of pipe :lol:

It is interesting your box does not have the spare wheel door.

My shipping is priced, now just waiting on a confirmed pick up date :roll:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Andre
United States of America

roof rack

Post by Andre »

How is Malaysia this time of year? And a weekend isn't long enough. Just ask Jim.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
fesm_ndt

Re: roof rack

Post by fesm_ndt »

Andre wrote:How is Malaysia this time of year? And a weekend isn't long enough. Just ask Jim.
less beer then?

Nice and warm over here, beer's cheap, food's chear
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

some more daft questions

1. I seen the ambulance body seems to overhang the tray by around an inch.... can anyone show a piccy and a measurement?

2. You got some nice canvas suppliers, what about for the bit between the body and the cab?

My box is on the boat 1st week of Febuary :) . Hopefully the Somalian pirates don't pinch it
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Well as of tomorrow, my box is enroute :D

They 'reckon' 25 days but I have never seen a shipping company that arrive on schedule, especially sea freight :roll:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
randwolfe

Post by randwolfe »

Mike,
Congrats! Mine will be ready for pick-up end of April...I don't want my maiden voyage (1250km road trip from Montreal to Halifax) to be in the cold or a snow storm. I am already getting a fibreglass top for the cab and a nice winch bumper... So you will have yours first.
Randy Shelaga
1982 712 AMB-S (almost)

Don't Steyr, it's a Pinzgauer!
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

randwolfe wrote:Mike,
So you will have yours first.
Still has to get past Somalian pirates and Malaysian customs :lol:

I got some details whilst I was in Germany last week regarding some of the structure, but will have to confirm when it arrives.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

seeing I can never seem to post a piccy in here...... a piccy of my box is here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.ph ... d&p=190230
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)