Paint Considerations

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
NC_Mog

Paint Considerations

Post by NC_Mog »

I'm starting to think about painting the 712M. While I've been considering a couple of different OD colors, someone brought up tan. Does anyone have a tan pinz with the original OD top(s)? Please post links or pictures. Thanks.
Kimball
1979 712M
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I could recommend a color choice for you but it won't be OD Green! :wink:
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's one that is currently on EBay. I think the tan/OD combination works in any proportion.

This is mine without the rear canvas, I never have installed it.

totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Here is my tan/OD combination:

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae14 ... 09side.jpg[/img]
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

If you are going to paint it, at least don't paint it green!
krick3tt

paint considerations

Post by krick3tt »

I am also considering paint the pinz tan. Just have to wrap my mind around it and the pictures help to envision it done. It is going to be a rattle can exercise anyway. Not sure about the inside yet.
Thinking about this spring, hard to paint in the snow.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Re: paint considerations

Post by edzz »

krick3tt wrote:Thinking about this spring, hard to paint in the snow.
Painting in the snow really isn’t that difficult, my dad taught me how when I was about 5 years old. If I was quick I could write my name, of coarse the color palette was limited to yellow. :oops:

I’ve been trying to decide on a colors for my 710k, really think a white top will be in order to help reduce summer heat.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

paint considerations

Post by krick3tt »

Ed,

Limited pallet but with enough beer you can do a stadium.

I wonder about a white top, course there is no dust or dirt in CA, right?
Since it never rains there....

I was thinking about an insulated top in the tan to match the painted body. $$$ The money tree in the back yard has lost all its leaves this winter.

M
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I painted my 710 in UK MOD sand paint which I bought off e bay you can use a roller, spray or brush it comes in matt, satin or gloss.

I used matt as you can touch it up easier and it does not show scratches when going through trees and bushes etc

If you send me your e mail address I will post you some pictures.

No I still cant figure how to post them on here

Steve
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Hey Steve:

I am ready to paint my truck and I will use sand paint. Which was your supplier and how do you like it matt so far.

I was inclined to use satin which is kind if like the green paint the Pinz comes with.

I have heard matt gets all the grease and dirt stick to it very easy.

What is your experience?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I Painted my Pinz in Satin Swiss green the first time around. But it shows marks more. When I touched the paintwork up it came out different shade so I gave up on that.

I used Ministry of Defence spec paint in matt. The colour I used is Light Stone Grey. Its easy to touch up. I dont find it gets very greasy but when it does get some marks on I use WD 40 or some wax polish on it it comes off a treat.
Ive also painted inside the cab and back it looks great. I put the paint on using one of the small rollers and a brush it took 4 litres of paint to do it all.

When I get my new Pinz in a couple of weeks I will be painting it the same colour. It stands out more and does not look as dirty as the green.

Steve
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

My 72, 710M is going to be tan too, It matches everything in the desert and I found a gallon of flat at the local paint store for $5.
Jeff
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Jeff, any more of that paint left, what type of paint? I'd like to see it when its done. I'm considering a desert tan graphic camo with Tan, Coyote, Sage, Dark Green. Still not settled on the pattern but it will be my custom design. I think the SW desert has as much Sage and Coyote as Tan.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I too plan to paint my 712M, but not green.

Does anyone foresee a problem using Linex (et al) as exterior paint? It will likely cost $2K or more, but I didn't think a roller/brush would leave it in good enough shape if the Pinz ever needs to be sold.

Linex seems durable enough to handle a few trees, rocks, road salt and maybe a high lift jack and still look good.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

hmm, painting a pinz with a roller gives decent results? I very much like my tan 710. Now that the Green 712 is coming, I'm a little sad at the loss of the tan. I was giving thought to a MAACO paint job. Maybe I'll just do it myself.