Where can I get rivnuts / nutcerts for the 712M rub rails?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Scooter

Re: Where can I get rivnuts / nutcerts for the 712M rub rail

Post by Scooter »

Here is what I used. The middle hex part has a thru hole and use a hardened washer on top. hold hex part in place and use rachet to compress nut. Works good if you only have a few of them to replace. I bought metric rivnuts from McMaster-Carr.

Scott
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Scooter wrote:Here is what I used. The middle hex part has a thru hole and use a hardened washer on top. hold hex part in place and use rachet to compress nut. Works good if you only have a few of them to replace. I bought metric rivnuts from McMaster-Carr.
Hey Scott.

Which rivnut did you buy? I am looking at the following part:

M6x1.00 10.00 0.7-4.2 95105A183 9.08

Zinc-Plated Steel Open-End Knurled Rivet Nut M6X1.0 Internal Thread, .7-4.2mm Material Thk

I assume I want the rivnut that only goes from .7-4.2mm material thickness?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I have decided to go with 1/4-20 rivnuts for this, rather than the M6-1.0. I bought a 3-1 rivet gun which does 1/4"-20 rivnuts, but not M6. The two are identical as far as the hole required and the material thickness etc. This is the part number for the rivnuts from McMaster-Carr:

1/4"-20 25/64" 0.027"-0.165" 95105A143 9.08
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Buy the right rivnuts... too many Pinzes have been repaired with "close" and the poor sap that owns it next is stuck with a repair bill that didn't have to be ( or the owner forgot what he did).
A rivnut isn't a big thing except you have a mix of bolts for the same thing, and they can get buggered by trying to force them "a little" into the wrong pitch thread, and end up replacing nutserts needlessly ( and enlarging the original hole)
Carbs are becoming henteeths because of parts being destroyed because of people putting SAE and sheetmetal screws where a metric belongs.

Remember, all Pinzes have a previous owner, and some of your problems could come from one of those repairs.... think of the next owner when you fix something.... I know, you'll never sell it :roll: but you may move up some day to TD, and you'll never want to drive that old gasser again
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

David Dunn wrote:Buy the right rivnuts... too many Pinzes have been repaired with "close" and the poor sap that owns it next is stuck with a repair bill that didn't have to be ( or the owner forgot what he did).
A rivnut isn't a big thing except you have a mix of bolts for the same thing, and they can get buggered by trying to force them "a little" into the wrong pitch thread, and end up replacing nutserts needlessly ( and enlarging the original hole)
Carbs are becoming henteeths because of parts being destroyed because of people putting SAE and sheetmetal screws where a metric belongs.

Remember, all Pinzes have a previous owner, and some of your problems could come from one of those repairs.... think of the next owner when you fix something.... I know, you'll never sell it :roll: but you may move up some day to TD, and you'll never want to drive that old gasser again
Hey David.

Believe me, I agree with you, and I come from the land of metric! :mrgreen:

I am not so concerned in this case simply because I am going to use Philips or Robertson (Canadian!) bolts, so I won't need an SAE tool in my kit....although I keep a complete set with me anyway...
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am not so concerned in this case simply because I am going to use Philips or Robertson (Canadian!) bolts, so I won't need an SAE tool in my kit....although I keep a complete set with me anyway...
And in there lies the slip... first a single SAE... then another.. then a USS until finally you use a Wentworth bolt ! :shock: :lol: :twisted:

berger
Canada

Post by berger »

David Dunn wrote:
And in there lies the slip... first a single SAE... then another.. then a USS until finally you use a Wentworth bolt ! :shock: :lol: :twisted:
I will make sure to contact my sponsor if I start losing control... :mrgreen: :lol:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Also, I like Robertson head bolts.... I use them when someone peeves me :mrgreen:

djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Neat little rivnut tool along the same lines as the home made.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... uttool.php

Probably have to buy a hardened M6 cap screw for M size, but that seems to get good marks in the aviation community.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I use this one which works like a pop rivet tool for the rivnuts (as long as they are SAE as it does not have metric heads): http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... TPG=INLMK3
Works pretty good so far.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've found this plier type one to work well for me. I purchased the 4, 5 & 6mm mandrels to go along with it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nut-inst ... ls/=gvoijm
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

check out Hanson rivet and supply co. out of Pacoima, Ca. largest selection of rivnuts Ive found to include sealed, aerospace, and comercial fastners. www.hansonrivet.com
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

berger wrote:
Scooter wrote:Here is what I used. The middle hex part has a thru hole and use a hardened washer on top. hold hex part in place and use rachet to compress nut. Works good if you only have a few of them to replace. I bought metric rivnuts from McMaster-Carr.
Hey Scott.

Which rivnut did you buy? I am looking at the following part:

M6x1.00 10.00 0.7-4.2 95105A183 9.08

Zinc-Plated Steel Open-End Knurled Rivet Nut M6X1.0 Internal Thread, .7-4.2mm Material Thk

I assume I want the rivnut that only goes from .7-4.2mm material thickness?
Fwiw, I found those 10mm rivnuts too big for the existing holes on my K. I used their SS 9mm M6 rivnuts instead and they were fine.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7083
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help