Pros and Cons of custom soft tops

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Pinzgauer Pete

Pros and Cons of custom soft tops

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Hi all am new to this forum and am looking for some direction on soft tops for a 710m. The top on the vehicle I just purchased has seen better days and I am looking for advice from members who replaced their tops with either custom tops or went original. I have seen pics of the tuff river top and love the look but am concerned that this top may not be as durable as the original. I also have concerns about a 3k pricetag and a 60 day wait..but then if enough of you come forward and say this top is as tuff as nails and is totally worth every penny..well then I may just have to reconsider. Also does anyone know of the best supplier for the original tops and an approximate price..any info is appreciated...thanks all...glad to be part of the forum :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

L, I got your PM but I'll respond here for the benefit of others.

I didn't know that the tuff river was $3000.00...When did they go up so much? I thought it was around $2000-$2500.

I think what you should do is order pieces of all the samples of tops from Tuff River. Not just new army Olive Drab (which is really used in the army actually) . Get ALL samples. He sent them all to me when I ordered. Based on that, make your own decision. Also look at the 'cloth' type tops he has, I didn't care much for them but up to you. I got my top in 3 weeks.

The original back top is $1500 from Swiss Army Vehicles. The reason I didn't get it was that :

1) Original tops are not insulated and being that I'm in the N.E coast, it gets colder than a witches tit. :lol

2) Quality of original is well ummmm great but.... it's not like tuff river

3) I wanted removable windows so air can pass through during hot summers and I can keep my top rolled down. Great for camping on the beaches. ;) Tuff river makes them so that you can get both mesh windowns as well as plastic windows (removable) in the same top but I can also block them completely for total darkness by zipping them down incase you are a vampire :LOL

The original back top is available from swiss army vehicles at $1500. You may want to go for this to keep your vehicle stock I guess. And again, you can't go wrong with stock stuff. It's just that if you want to kick it up a notch and have some $$$ in the piggy bank, I'd get Tuff River.

I think you should also contract some of those guys at Southwest Pinzgauer Association. I know some of those guys have the tuff river tops.

Get your truck and let's meet up.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Thanks Paresh, the info is good...I am not sure when they went up but contacted tuffriver and was told front and rear came to 3k...if it was 2k I wouldnt hesitate but the extra thousand will buy me the surplus trailer I am eyeing..so its a hard decision...that I could use input from others on. The pic of grandpa Munster is a hoot and brought back some funny memories...I had met Grandpa a few times in greenwhich village in front of his restaurant...he was just standing there talking to himself,people came up to say hello after they recognized him and he cursed them all and told them to go F themselves. I thought he was a riot and am sorry he is no longer with us...as a kid I dont think I missed an episode of the Munsters..good times!!! two more weeks till my Pinz arrives! :D

710M
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Just for interest, back in the early 1980's I asked the Australian Pinzgauer agent for a price on a new, full (front and rear canopies, side skirts etc) "factory" 712 soft-top and the price was just a little less than $10,000 Australian Dollars..... probably around $6-7K US back then.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Tis true my friend, grandpa was a riot indeed. I met him a few times in the city and when I met him first, I asked him where the urinals were as I shook his hand. I got a few chuckles from him and he remembered me the next time around. "hey you're the schmuck looking for a place to pee right? Did you find it?" ...told him "no still holding it in" Then one day, he was gone. :(

Anyways, that trailer does sound like a good idea. I guess if you camp out, then you'll need the extra room. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

I got my Pinz in Montauk today. Loads of fun I tell u ! If it's two weeks aways let go pick it up tommorow half way. I'm actually excited that another pinz is coming to NY.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Paresh, I can hardly wait to meet you. I am sure we will get along famously I am excited too my Pinz is near I have some 4 wheeling to do in long island and you will have some to do in orange county. I am counting the days.

710M
krick3tt

tuff River tops

Post by krick3tt »

After I saw that beautiful 712 with the Tuff River top I sent them an email. Took awhile for return message as the guy was out of town.
A top (front and rear) with roll up windows with mesh in OD was quoted as $3300 with a 60 day wait for the rear, front is about 2 weeks.
This is the heavy rafting season and they don't necessarily wait around for calls for pinz tops....maybe that's why the 60 days.
Love the look but that is a lot of coin for a top. Really all I need is the windows replaced.
The non-insulated stock top is a bit cold in the winter but that's why I sprang the bucks for the Webasto heater, good investment. I also roll down the black out curtain to keep the heat in the cab.

Cheers,
see you at the Treffen.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

A few years ago I stopped by Tuff River (I was at the RMP Treffen). One of the guys in the SWPA has a TR top from one of the first runs. He caught the top on a branch, which would have damaged any soft top, I took it to TR for repairs. The repairs were taken care of while I waited and did not cost all that much, sub $100, he also replaced some of the damaged plastic clips.
The cost of these tops is not all that bad. If you look at an original top at $1,500 and the TR at $3,300 which takes more than twice the material and has many more options it is really not bad. The insulated tops also make the trucks quieter inside on the highway and as has been mentioned temperature control heating/cooling is much better with an insulated top. Here in the desert in the summer time you do not want to touch the underside of the original tops.

I am anxiously awaiting the first roll over on a truck with the new EI fiberglass top to see how much damage is sustained and what the repair cost will be. The fiber tops up front seem to be a good option for those who don't like convertibles.
skd

Post by skd »

My Tuff River top has lasted and performed well for 6+ years of abuse in the Arizona heat and desert brush. Last year I managed to peel off a layer on the rear section and Tuff River fixed it as good as new for very minaimal costs.

I really like my top.

(I'll find a better picture to post as my avatar - that picture was taken when I the top was getting repaired.)

Steve