Replacement side mirrors

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
audiocontr
United States of America

Replacement side mirrors

Post by audiocontr »

I too have fallen victim to the deadly mirror eating trees that span the edges of my last trip into the woods. This time it busted the whole mirror clean off at the base. luckily there was no damage to the pinz, but there is no chance of reusing any portion besides the screws.

My search of the old postings brought up this post: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... nt+mirrors

but as its old, the ebay link no longer works. Can anyone point me to an inexpensive replacement of the whole mirror AND arm? Are the Pepboys models a simple replacement glass or the whole mirror, arm and all?

I also looked through EI's site; keyword mirror. I was unable to find anything besides the 404 replacements.

Any help on the subject is appreciated.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've never seen a replacement for the arm except from SAV: http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV7202

The mirror heads are available in a variety of designs from Pep Boys, etc. Also Mercedes G-Wagen mirrors work very well as do Unimog mirrors. Here's a write-up that Scott at EI did: http://www.expedition-imports.com/categ ... r_mirrors/

Hope this helps,

Paul C.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thats going to be pricey - but they look very different than what i have on there. I'll take a close up photo and see if it spurs any ideas.

Thanks much!
gorsko
Bulgaria

Re: Replacement side mirrors

Post by gorsko »

Today I fitted some mirrors - the originals were removed by someone in the yard I found the vehicle in, and are probably now adorning a Gaz truck somewhere...(along with the tools, cable, chains...etc.)
The arms are MB/ Unimog 404 from a dealer in Germany, from whom I also sourced the mirror heads (Faun military truck) Total cost about €60.
A little fabrication required to mount the mirror heads to the arms, but pretty easy.
I needed to get mirrors on to get the vehicle through its test prior to reregistration, and I couldn't justify spending close to €200 for original parts.
Attachments
View from driver's position
View from driver's position
IMG_20150322_172133~2.jpg (805.66 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
IMG_20150322_171957~2.jpg
IMG_20150322_171957~2.jpg (494.62 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
1975 712M (AMB)
1993 Defender 90 (200TDi)
1985 Uaz 469B
1982 Luaz 969 "the Russian Haflinger"
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Those look really nice. They are definitely tougher than the original ones, which were designed (I think) so that they could easily be turned in in order to be able to swing the door open all the way forward.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Why not mount them to the original location? What do you do when you take the top of the doors off?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

audiocontr wrote:Why not mount them to the original location? What do you do when you take the top of the doors off?
They would interfere with the upper door hinge. Bracket is too big for that location. But it could have been mounted to the hinge itself with some countersunk machine screws.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
gorsko
Bulgaria

Post by gorsko »

To be honest, I bought the brackets with no idea of the scale of them - they're pretty massive! I thought I might manage to mount them in the original position, but that wasn't feasible due to the size.
The door-tops will probably stay in position, because most of the time out here in the wilds of Bulgaria, we're pushing through overgrown trails, and I don't much like getting brush-whipped in the face!
For now they'll do to get the test done, and I'll probably made something else in due course which mounts in the original position...
Cheers/Nazdrave!
And thanks to everyone who've given answers to my various questions elsewhere!
Rob.
1975 712M (AMB)
1993 Defender 90 (200TDi)
1985 Uaz 469B
1982 Luaz 969 "the Russian Haflinger"
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I broke the glass in the PS mirror while in the bush hunting this fall, so I bought a pair of these mirrors off of Amazon.ca. They were $28.16 all in, shipped to my door. You cannot beat that. $12.55 each!

Anyway, plan to hit them with some OD Krylon and install them tomorrow.

Link to Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000E4B8C6/ref= ... 00_TE_item

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I've had those same mirrors on my Pinz for over 10 years - I even put one inside as a rear view "wide angle" mirror - they work really well - except for the clamp being too large and fairly cheap.

I made a set of "Billet" clamps out of some solid 1"x1" aluminum bar stock I had around - will try to take a photo of them to post. Pretty simple to make - cut a chunk off about 1.5 inches long and drill two holes and cut one slot into it - the included bolt that mounts the mirror also provides the clamp force on the arm to keep it from moving. Nicer than the little metal loop they provide which tended to rotate on the round arm when driving at high speeds.

Great price.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

same mirrors we use here in the desert. Seems the brush around here has acquired a taste for pinz mirrors. I hit up the local Pep Boys and with a brief talk with the manager I can have him order in 10 units at a time. Cost here is just over $10. It is kind of like the mud flaps, if you put them up or away before getting into situations you don't loose them so easily. :wink:
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Haf-e wrote:I've had those same mirrors on my Pinz for over 10 years - I even put one inside as a rear view "wide angle" mirror - they work really well - except for the clamp being too large and fairly cheap.

I made a set of "Billet" clamps out of some solid 1"x1" aluminum bar stock I had around - will try to take a photo of them to post. Pretty simple to make - cut a chunk off about 1.5 inches long and drill two holes and cut one slot into it - the included bolt that mounts the mirror also provides the clamp force on the arm to keep it from moving. Nicer than the little metal loop they provide which tended to rotate on the round arm when driving at high speeds.

Great price.
Would love to see a pick right now I'm looking for a clamping solution mirrors are perfect at $10 much cheaper than the unimog/gwagen mirror so I won't worry if they break which of course happened to the $50 mirrors.

was looking at these for ideas
or a wire lashing clamp
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Cabl ... 24745.html

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I'll try to get a photo soon - but its really simple - just two holes through the "block" of aluminum at 90 degrees to each other - then a slot cut thru the end at 90 degrees to one holes all the way to the other hole. The supplied bolt on the mirror provides the clamping force on the stock mirror arm (uses only one bolt to mount and clamp) - I think the two holes are different sizes.

I'll get a photo as I don't think this description works.

I like these mirrors more than the stock ones - which I suppose I have around still in a box somewhere...

Try one as an interior mirror as well - nice for keeping an eye on your rear passengers.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Rover mirrors work well too and they're a direct fit. I have the smaller ones, but probably should have bought the larger ones in the link. The price is good too.
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc. ... eq=&key=it
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

These Defender mirrors should work OK. I have them on a vehicle and they work well. Also thinking of them for my Haflinger.

http://www.paddockspares.com/mtc5217-do ... -type.html

Or

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm752-door ... offer.html

or

http://www.paddockspares.com/defender-m ... e-arm.html
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"