Converting 710K into "quasi-M"?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Jorgo

Converting 710K into "quasi-M"?

Post by Jorgo »

I'm torn between buying a K vs. M. I like the canvas top more than i do the hard top (living in so cal) but i like the rear side doors and seat config. of the hardtop. I've seen the 710 "S" that expedition imports has on their site and i wonder How difficult would it be to remove the hardtop and sides of the K ( and order custom canvas)? it looks like they're modular, but I haven't seen a K in person. are there any structural deficiencies created by doing this?

Thank you -

Jorgo
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

On a 710, it is only a matter of a custom rear canvas (though a stock top will work), plus the bars and hoops from a M... on a 716, it another whole can of worms. :wink:

Buying one from Scott would probably be more economical over the expense of having to find all the M parts and either storing or selling the K hardtop.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Re: Conversion

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

AZ712DK wrote:The conversion is rather simple. With all the parts you can do the conversion in about 3-4 hours with some help. Parts list is windshield header cap for the soft top, windshield to roll bar stringers and attachment brackets, rear roll bar, two square tubes for the rear top and four round tube cross over pieces to support the top (1 frt, 3 rear). Some cutting and drilling for the rear roll bar tabs and mounting holes in the corners. Will also need to layout the side hooks for the top which is not difficult but time consuming and not included in the 3-4 hour estimate above.

Contact a dealer as they might be interested in the 710K top. Have done the conversion a few times. Actually did one while an owner waited but that involved a fork truck. Just ask Dave it all comes down to the fork truck.

As for the custom top I think there are some other options available since you are located in So Cal.

Reporting from an undisclosed location deep in the heart of Europe for the time being and maybe longer depending on Iceland.

Brian

Are you stuck by the volcanic dust cloud Brian!

:)

G
Glynn Sziraki
www.ownnight.com

1975 712 AMB-S
1996 AM GENERAL HMCS H1
1972 SUZUKI LJ10
1985 HONDA FL350R ODYSSEY
1990 HONDA FL400R PILOT
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Well thats good that your not stuck!

I cant imagine what the total count of people que'd up to get a flight home is let alone new travelers that need to get some where!!!!!!!!! Gonna be one hell of a back log! :(

Glynn
Glynn Sziraki
www.ownnight.com

1975 712 AMB-S
1996 AM GENERAL HMCS H1
1972 SUZUKI LJ10
1985 HONDA FL350R ODYSSEY
1990 HONDA FL400R PILOT
Pinzgear

Post by Pinzgear »

I own one of the 710S trucks custom built by Scott and Brian at Expedition Imports. They do an awesome job and I absolutely LOVE my truck. Like you, I loved the M, but wanted the safety and practicality of the K with the doors and forward-facing seats, especially with my kids in the back. The custom top works great with zippers around the doors. Scott also put a custom rear-facing seat behind the cab so that I have seats (and seatbelts!) for 9 people (five forward-facing and 4 rear-facing), plus plenty of room in the back to haul stuff. I think it's the perfect pinz configuration. Only thing that would make it better is 6 wheels! :wink:

Sean
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

There have been posts in recent months about how to create a hard top (K style) for a Pinz while maintaining the roll up sides of an M and various folks have done this on both sides of the Atlantic.

As Brian notes, it can be done. It just comes dowm to parts availability and the ability to pay for it.

BTW - I'd go with an M!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
Just for info, I am about to create a real mongrel !
Take a 712 ambulance , throw away the body!
Take a 710K tub and insert it to the original 712 flat bed to create a 4 door "K" style 712M with canvas top.

This is for a customer in Hawaii who at present can't make his mind up (nice lady in tow!!) on the final colour. My suggestion is white coachwork with a mid blue insulated canvas top!
Suggestions???
Dennis
Remember tropical, surfing etc beach, bikinis, tanned shapely bodies (Pinzgauers that is!)
(For Carlos--- estudiar -- chicas guapas) :twisted:
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now