Replacing leather straps on elephant ears

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
audiocontr
United States of America

Replacing leather straps on elephant ears

Post by audiocontr »

The lowest D ring straps on the elephant ears cracked and ripped. A local vinyl shop recommended nylon straps instead of leather. They quoted around $200 to replace all of them.

I'd like to accomplish this myself. Purchase the rivet gun and strap material. Has anyone else repaired it themselves? Where did you purchase your supplies?
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

elephant ears? :?: What are the elephant ears?

edit
Ok I think I found the Elephant ears

Check with your local shoe repair shop they should have no problem with this and should be much less expensive.
If you don’t already own the tools it may not be worth purchasing them for one job. That said you could use stainless steel pop rivets in place of the driven rivets. The driven rivets could be done with a hammer and anvil or more properly with a rivet squeeze or bench press and the appropriate dies. If you have any friends who work aircraft structures they may be able to help with these tools also.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

McMaster-Carr sells leather in 1" wide strips in various thicknesses. The chrome tanned is a grayish green color.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#leather-fabric/=76xbhr

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Bringing back an old thread...

Would nylon webbing work better than replacing the leather? Are there specific types that are UV resistant? Any idea where to get it?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Replacing leather straps

Post by krick3tt »

Not only do I want to replace the beat up leather but the rusty 'D' rings as well. I would like to replace them with the same type of hook that is on the back cover adjacent to the 'D' rings. The bungie would then lay flat against the side.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Could also get the cord to lay flat by creating a twist in the “d” rings. If the hooks were used I’d be inclined to pinch the ones replacing the “d” rings to retain the cord as the “d” rings do. Cant think of any reason nylon strapping would not be a good alternative to the leather.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.