Weak rear door frame panels?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Twin Pinzies

Weak rear door frame panels?

Post by Twin Pinzies »

OK, I'm not rougher on stuff than anyone else, in fact, I'm actually pretty gentle on my trucks.
I keep having trouble with the rear tailgate doors on my 710M's. It's not the tailgate, it's the panel that houses the latch. It keeps getting loose and wiggly. The internal vertical stiffening bar has broken in two of them... even after I had a welder reinforce them with angle-iron!
Has anyone found a fix for this part of these trucks?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

I am wondering if you have additional weight on the rear door such as a extra fuel tank or some other accessory that is adding stress to the panel?
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

No extra weight. Just the tire on the door.
The door gets used a lot as a commercial tour truck but sheeesh...?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Im glad I dont have this problem as the rear door on mine is not used much, however a good bodyman or auto customization shop would be able to find and reinforce this area if you are not adept in putting in some structural supports yourself. It makes sence that this area would give you problems if you use this truck commercially and would be in your best interest to fix it immediately for the sake of safety, the rear door could open unexpectedly since the pin is essentially all that holds the door locked and with the panel wiggling around may open unexpectedly and injure a passenger.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Twin,

I don't know what your tour work consists of, but could the truck/s get by without a spare tire? Or perhaps mount it elsewhere? Thus lightening the weight of the door?

Another idea might be to mount a steel brace at along the top lip of the side/rear panels. Attached directly over the latch on the rear panel and just ahead of the roll bar on the side panel, it would be approx. 45 degrees, and would stiffen the latch area, I would think. Ugly, but...

What do you haul anyway, gorillas?

Paul
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Are you perhaps missing this cross brace under the rear corner.

This cross brace along with the original bumperetts really do support the body due to triangulation and creating a box frame member.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

My panel was broken when I got my truck. Repaired it twice, it kept breaking. Bought a new one from someone here on the list and I haven't had any trouble with it now in over 2 years.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Since I got my Pinz (1/10) I've always felt that the rear door is the weak point in the engineering of this truck.
Who would put a door that requires both hands to operate on a military vehicle for troops (rifles, gear...) to get in and out of?
I think there is room for improvement here.