Don't know what they're called - window knob?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
spandit

Don't know what they're called - window knob?

Post by spandit »

This part doesn't appear in the parts manuals and from photos of other peoples' Pinzes, it doesn't appear to be standard but I have knurled knobs installed in my front windows to hold the glass in an intermediate position/stop it rattling:

I had to make a spanner to tighten the passenger side one but now I discover there's a bit missing (a rubber button in the end) hence looking in the manual to try and find out what it was called - can anyone enlighten me?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Hi Robin.
Bottom illustration on P.76 in the bible. Window Stop, Complete (Item 34). Part No. 711.2.76.123.1. Is this it ??

I've never seen one "in the flesh" . Pre the great dong, I had a civvy 710M. There wasn't any on that. Maybe just a civvy K thing ?? Most curious.

Mike.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Mike. No item 34 shown on page 76 of my manual - must be a different version?

Fixed it by using a small piece of rubber fuel pipe so works fine now
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Robin
Your truck has a lot of unique wee bits on it. I wonder what and who it was originally made for! What year of manufacture is it? I take it the paint colour is original. From the documentation you have do you know when it entered the UK, as in, was it originally in another country?
Philip
spandit

Post by spandit »

It's Austrian, I think, 1975. As far as I know, Hesketh imported it into the UK and the beige was original. It's currently undergoing repainting into NATO light stone.

Nigel suggested the rear grilles might have been fitted to accomodate a generator or something but no other mounting points survive
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Robin,
Can you post a better pic of the knob? It reminds me a "friction" plate that I remember seeing on some of the old Series LRs to keep the front windows from sliding freely.

Also post a pic of the grilles, and their location.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
spandit

Post by spandit »

The black grille can be seen quite easily in this photo, there is another one on the back, at the same height:

Don't have a much better picture of the knob in question as I type (and it's dark now). I'll try to describe it...

There are 3 main parts. The outer bit (2 parts) bolts through a hole in the inner window (there is a soft washer of nylon or something to protect the glass), leaving a threaded hole. Into this hole is a length of threaded bar with aforementioned knob on one end and a rubber button the other end, that touches the outer pane when the knob is screwed in (you can't unscrew it all the way by design)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Your description doesn't give me any more to go by... so I'll stick to my first answer :D .
The headlamp guards are the standard Pinz guards ( for everyone except the Swiss).
The grille is in an "unusual" location, as most generators would have been on the right rear side with an enclosure and a outside access door. My first guess would be a civilian add-on for a RV type fridge, or a fan for over a stove ( but the guess is shooting from the hip, without any further info :wink: )

spandit

Post by spandit »

OK, had enough dry weather today to venture outside with the camera. Here are the grilles:

And here is the window knob (driver's side):

--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The "lock" is what I thought it was.... It has been a looooong time since I've seen one like that, and can't remember for sure if it was a Series LR, or an old VW transporter ( or both :roll: ).
But if memory serves me right, the rubber button portion is (was) a one piece dome shape with a pin to hold it on the shaft ( like a mushroom).
If it was in front of me, I'm sure I have a window guide, or door stop that would work ( as much as people here think of me for glass, my core business is mainly in residential and commercial door hardware).... you can email me pics of the mechanism with the rubber removed and dimension, I can see what I have that may work. I could tell you what you need to source, or possibly send you some.

Those grilles are definately add-on. They look like HVAC registers.
If you have pics of the inside at that area, I could make a good educated guess what it was for .

Dave
dsd277@sbcglobal.net

spandit

Post by spandit »

The piece of tube I put in seems to work OK for now but I'll keep a look out for something more like a mushroom - probably not worth posting over the pond!

Regarding the grilles, all there is inside the body is a rectangular hole behind each one. I've installed some smaller stainless mesh to keep insects out, sandwiched with foam. The cut edges of the holes were covered in paint so I'm guessing they were done at the factory, unless someone has resprayed it since it was built.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

It took me all of 5 minutes to locate the nylon guides in my shop.
Also found a knob.

I doubt the grilles were factory install... the fasteners are far less than professional... especially for SDP.... if they did do it, I'm extremely disappointed in them... very tacky using bolts

spandit

Post by spandit »

Those bolts were actually installed by me (although in my defence, they are stainless ones replacing steel ones)! What fixings would you use? Coach bolts?

Thanks for posting pictures of the bits, I was supposed to be in the US today but had to go sick :(
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition